I am curious how much more depth I will get on coins with a T2 Classic vs. Gold Bug non manual gb on coins . I love my Gold Bug but I am only getting 4-4 1/2 inches reliable depth. The Bug works fine on sports fields where I use low power settings but I also like hunting curb strips, empty lots (with permission) old home sites and such. Mostly coins at these places. I am trying not to get caught up in the grass is greener new detector will fix all train of thought. I thought I needed a Tesoro clean sweep coil for hunting sports fields but my Bug works just fine. Would a T2 truly get better depth on coins then my current Bug? This of course is all things being equal.

Most of today's coin and relic detectors including the T2 that have the ability to ground ballence will get you down to at least 6 inches with good ID.  What happens after that depends on your soil,  coil size, trash density, etc..  

Bryan

• Like 1

Depth is relative to ground mineralization. Pure white Florida sand and nice, loamy farm soil (low magnetic mineral content) has people reporting 10 - 11 inches on coins. I get about half that here in the west and getting 6 - 8 inches is the best I usually hope for on coins but in real mineralized ground it may be less. Are you using the 5" round coil or something larger? If the 5" then a different coil may be the answer.

I have used the Gold Bug Pro and F75 (brother to T2) extensively. The GBP at 19 kHz has a reputation for not getting as much depth on copper and silver coins as the 13 kHz F75 and T2 but the difference is not much from what I saw. I would bet on the T2 and F75 squeaking a bit extra but at a guess only like an inch or less. On low conductors like a U.S. nickel the GBP will meet and usually exceed what the T2 and F75 can deliver.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, confirms what I have read and thought. My detecting experience is limited to my Gold Bug and a TrackerIV before that. The soil in my urban area has A LOT of alkali so I know that has a negative effect on coin hunting. I ordered a T2 today so I am hoping I will find the silver coins that have been just out of reach with the Bug......I'll find out soon enough.