SDC 2300 Limits

Rege-PA

We all know that the SDC 2300 has proven itself to be fantastic on small gold and people seem to get the idea that it is a very shallow machine and not too useful for hunting nuggets at depth. I realize it is not a GPZ or a GPX but can anyone give me an idea of just how deep this machine can go on nuggets above a gram and into the bigger stuff. I guess what I`m asking is for some examples of dug targets. Is this machine an overall detector or is it just for shallow small stuff?

Hi Rege

This is a machine never to be underestimated.Its not so much the depth in comparison but the ability to fine certain types of gold at good depth where other machine fail miserably.We have found it particularly good on specimen vein and leaf gold mainly where there is no obvious solid sections in the gold.

It is also proven on small gold at depth or gold too small for the bigger PI's.

Depth on most good solid nuggets of the 1-2gram is limited around 8-10" from our experience but we have picked up many small specimens at 6-8".It will still go 1-2ft on large iron type targets but obviously not designed with this in mind.I guess it forms part of a tool kit in conjunction with the bigger Pi's.

• Like 4

The SDC "limited depth" thing is simply because it has an 8" hardwired coil. However, that coil should punch up to between one and two feet depending on the size of the target. Larger target equals more depth. The SDC should hit a 1/4 ounce U.S. nickel size gold nugget at about a foot.  Don't expect anything but a fairly large size nugget (or beer can) in excess of a foot.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, deutran said:

Hi Rege

This is a machine never to be underestimated.Its not so much the depth in comparison but the ability to fine certain types of gold at good depth where other machine fail miserably.We have found it particularly good on specimen vein and leaf gold mainly where there is no obvious solid sections in the gold.

What deutran says there is spot on.  The 2300 shines on certain types of gold and leaves a GPX for dead.  This piece I got a few months ago with the 7000 at about 5", but the 2300 can get it at about 6 or 7 inches and a 5000 with the new flat wound coil can get it at 2" max. But for going for solid bits of gold I would use a 5000 over a 2300 all day every day.    The big thing about the 2300 is you`ll find gold with it just about every time you use it. Dave
qs.jpg

• Like 8

I've dug several bits of larger lead at about 10-11 inches. On the beach in Salt 2 I've dug aussie $1 coins at 12 inches. 

This bigger bit went 3.57g and was about 10 inches. 

3.88g.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciate all the great feed back,  I have a customer who was skeptical of the SDC 2300 ability to find deeper gold,  I think now he will consider it for his first gold detector.

Thanks for all the great examples, only wish some of them were mine! :biggrin:

• Like 2

I've found the deeper targets are barely a pull in the threshold, and some of the responses are quite wide, so you need to do a slow wide sweep of the coil in order to hear the full rise and fall (or the opposite) of the signal. With a short narrow sweep, the target can be invisible. 

• Like 1