Hurricane Harvey

Long time no post! Been busy with my new responsibilities at White's.

Just wanted to let you know that White's is donating 10% of all factory internet sales from 08-28-17 to 9-04-17 (through whiteselectronics.com) to the Red Cross to help them with the current crisis in Texas. I'm very surprised the flooding is so underreported in the news - few people realize how bad things are down in Houston right now. I guess politics is a bigger sales tool for some of the networks.

Anyways, even if you don't need anything detecting-related please donate blood or help the Red Cross in their efforts  - https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot

Steve if this is not kosher I apologize. I have some friends down there and just wanted to spread the word. They need all the help they can get right now.

IMG_0586.JPG

• Like 3

In OZ Harvey is getting plenty of press time, I guess most people over here have been affected by such extreme weather thus we can relate to what is going down in Texas.  Keep safe folks.

Hey Tom

I have a Daughter in the middle of it plus some friends too. Most of it has been covered on the news. The trouble it may be a while before it's over with. I know people have been going down her street in boats but the good thing she is on the high side of the street.

My wife said they are asking for more boats. Yet you see so many on the news already.

Chuck

I live in the heart of downtown Houston.  As a native Californian it is hard to describe how much rain we have seen in the past two and a half days.  My family lives in the Bay Area and got roughly 50 inches of rain this year (which was a huge number).  We have received 30 inches in the past two days.  So more than half of the Bay Area yearly total in 48 hours.  

The flooding has surpassed the 500 year flood maps and we are likely experiencing  around a 1000 year flood. 

It just wont stop raining.  

Ways to help that we are hearing through the local news include donating to the Red Cross, but more importantly clothing and everyday items are in very short supply at the shelters (projected to hold 30,000 people in the next day).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

The trouble it may be a while before it's over with.

That is likely an understatement.  It's only Monday and the center (eye) is expected to hang around near Houston (affecting many more places) for another 2 days.  SE Texas is already saturated to the limit.  Any more (which is sure to come) is not just linear in damage, but exponential.  And Houston gets a lot of rain, typically.

As far as not being in the news, well, it's been on the three major networks (NBC,CBS,ABC) for the last few days -- headlines, first attention, and special break-in reports to regular programming.  That's what I watch/monitor.

I've heard complaints of "why didn't they warn us?"  Who is this 'they'?  Weather Channel has been predicting deluge rain and flooding for nearly a week.  Maybe we're seeing the dichotomy of TV/mainstream news vs. internet news....  I'm always amazed when I hear from people who depend upon their cellphones for news when a national/worldwide issue that has been on mainstream TV news completely passes them by.

But, back to the real issue,  what are people in the path supposed to do, drive all the way to Dallas/Fort Worth, through mega-traffic jams and then pay hotel prices which swamp their incomes, from jobs they may not even have when they get back?  I feel for them.

• Like 1