Where Would You Go?

Hi ya'll!  I have a question for you.  If you could go detecting anywhere in the lower 48 and stay as long as you wanted-where would it be, and what would you hunt?

Not looking for anybody's top secret honey hole, just a general area.  I'm planning our trip next summer with the small toyhauler and ATV.  I'd like to try hunting some different things in some different places.  Already got South Beach/FT Lauderdale on the radar, as well as tons of places in Montana.  There has to be something fun in the 2500 miles in between!

Thanks for all suggestions!

Ammie

I don't have a particular spot to suggest but if you are looking for jewelry I would seek out lakes with swimming holes or smaller beaches. Of course you could always head to the high Sierras and try your luck at the elusive large gold nugget. Good luck to ya and please post some of your finds. For a phpotograpoher you sure don't post many photos :biggrin:

strick   

I know this isn't in the lower 48 but....Back to Nome.

• Like 2

Try a week of looking for diamonds in Arkansas.

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/media/news-releases.aspx?id=2696 

You can park your rig there and give the ATVs a rest.

Mitchel

• Like 3

19 hours ago, strick said:

For a phpotograpoher you sure don't post many photos :biggrin:

strick   

I don't want anyone to be jealous of all my bottle caps, strick. :biggrin:  I'll be posting pics of old Montana mining camps next summer! I was actually thinking about some Army COE lakes.  Most of them have beaches and I understand they are cool with metal detectors.

17 hours ago, johnedoe said:

I know this isn't in the lower 48 but....Back to Nome.

Been trying to talk Hubby into an Alaska trip for 3 years!

15 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Try a week of looking for diamonds in Arkansas.

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/media/news-releases.aspx?id=2696 

You can park your rig there and give the ATVs a rest.

Mitchel

I bet you could find some cool jewelry in all that mud with a detector.....right before you got arrested and hauled off to jail. :smile:

I think they would let you use a metal detector there.  Hard to find a diamond with one!  Hummmmm ... just remembered they were planting some jewelry so maybe they have changed the rules since we were there.

Travel the old highways (more fun and scenic than Interstates, for sure) such as US-41 -- there are many to choose from that will take you from FL to MT.  Stop at small towns along the original routes (even the old highways often have been retouted to bypass the towns) and find the city parks.  Ask around when in the town (including public library) for good, public places to hunt, for example:  old schools.

You can use Google Maps/Earth from your home now to find and plan good potential towns/routes.  Towns farther from big cities are less likely to have been hunted.

I think (or at least hope) that you'll be surprised at how many of these towns "that time forgot" have avoided serious detecting, with goodies just waiting for you.

Good fortune!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 7:51 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Travel the old highways (more fun and scenic than Interstates, for sure) such as US-41 -- there are many to choose from that will take you from FL to MT.  Stop at small towns along the original routes (even the old highways often have been retouted to bypass the towns) and find the city parks.  Ask around when in the town (including public library) for good, public places to hunt, for example:  old schools.

You can use Google Maps/Earth from your home now to find and plan good potential towns/routes.  Towns farther from big cities are less likely to have been hunted.

I think (or at least hope) that you'll be surprised at how many of these towns "that time forgot" have avoided serious detecting, with goodies just waiting for you.

Good fortune!

I can just see the look on Hubby's face right now.  "Um, Dear, instead of the interstate this year, let's try some old highways through some small towns for 2500 miles".  I would probably be using my thumb to get to Bozeman.  Unbeknownst to him, I have already been scouting for "good RV parks" in some small towns on the way...which just might have a small city park or 2.  

Thanks, GB

On 9/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, mn90403 said:

I think they would let you use a metal detector there.  Hard to find a diamond with one!  Hummmmm ... just remembered they were planting some jewelry so maybe they have changed the rules since we were there.

It's a state park, so I doubt it.  Worth a check, tho!