Settings For GPX 4500?

Rob Mada

Hi guys new to the forum from down under. I can see there is a wealth of info on here and looking forward to taking it all in.

I recently hired a Gpz7000 and its an amazing machine however out of my budget (for now). While on that trip I was having major problems keep the machine quite. So I was advise of looking up Lunks settings for the Z. WOW this turn the trip around and picked up half a dozen bits of yella.

However I have now come into  GPX4500 and I am wondering if there are Lunks settings similar to that for the 4500. I have had a search but cant see anything as yet.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks MATE!!!!:biggrin:

Welcome to the forum!

Do I give you a fish, or teach you how to fish?

Settings are different for different ground conditions. They also vary with the skill of the operator. What coil is being used matters. The goal is to learn how your detector operates in order to learn how to set it for different conditions.

Imagine you just got a new car with a manual transmission, and ask on the Internet for some settings. Should you use second gear and 3/4 throttle? Or third gear and 1/2 throttle?

The answer is questions - are you on dirt road or paved road? Are you going uphilll or downhill? What's the speed limit? How good a driver are you?

The problem is no matter the settings arrived at, they change when the conditions change. You car setting going up the hill may have to change as soon as you go over the top and are now headed down the hill.

You can no more properly use a detector everywhere with a single batch of settings than drive that car everywhere with only one combination of gear and throttle settings. Sure, you could just put it in first and drive everywhere going ten miles an hour, but that would be very inefficient. You should be adjusting you detector to be more aggressive for mild conditions and less aggressive in difficult conditions.

You can find the full GPX Timing Charts Here. The master chart describes how to determine a best timing for a given location in the lower right corner. Click on chart for larger version.

IMG_0524.JPG

BEST TIMING

• In new location, start in Normal Timing in middle of chart
  • No ground noise, try next timing to the left on chart for more depth OR
  • Too much ground noise, try next timing to right on chart for less noise
  • In general, the best timing is the one farthest left on the chart that produces little or no ground noise
  • Always ground balance when changing timings

When in doubt, do a Master Reset and use the Quick Start before proceeding as recommended above.

minelab-gpx-4500-master-reset.jpg

minelab-gpx-4500-quick-start.jpg

For some specific Australian settings Gold City Detecting has a nice article.

I hope this helps rather than confuses. Good luck!

Hi Steve and thank you. Hehe fishing is my passion has been all my life.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I fully understand and appreciate the settings out lined and have used them a number of times and will continue to do so. 

Not confusing at all my friend taking it all in and I will follow up with regards to the article.

The reason I asked about the Lunk Z setting was because the target signal was inverted or reversed, which made the target leap out amongst the very noisey ground. Those settings also made a big difference to the amount of ground noise getting through, and where I come from it's all ironstone/iron ore. Matter of fact I had a ironstone rock leave the ground 3 inches and attached itself to my are earth magnet. Every sweep of the coil was a flood of horrible ground noise even had the gain turned back to number 2, which was impossible to turn out. The Lunk setting made a huge difference.

Was just kind of hoping such setting exists for the GPX. 

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Rob

I am sure somebody will jump in with some suggest Oz settings once everyone wakes up down under! The go to timing for mineralized ground with the GPX 4500 is Enhance, though this is best when paired up with a mono coil. From Jonathan Porter at Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

"Monoloop coils will always provide a sensitivity and depth advantage over a DD coil, reason being a DD coil has two windings which cross each other down the length of the coil from front to back, the proximity of these two windings allows the coil to be used in high mineralisation as well as providing simplistic discrimination. However the trade off from going from say an 11' mono to an 11" DD is approx 30% in depth. DD coils do have pretty good sensitivity for their size because the smaller a winding (loop of wire inside the coil) the greater the amount of turns of wire to get the inductance right in the coil, more windings equals greater near coil sensitivity to small targets which goes some way in reducing the performance reduction of the second winding.

Minelab prospecting detectors are very good at ignoring mineralisation even with the more powerful timings such as Normal or Sensitive extra in combination with Monoloop coils, however they too will react to ground minerals and when this happens gold can be masked by the mineralisation noise just like a VLF detector. To help compensate for this Minelab developed the "Smooth" class of timings of which your GPX-4500 has two, Sensitive Smooth and Enhance. These timings allow an operator to work in extremely mineralised ground without the effects of ground noise or minimal effects especially compared to the other timings. On some targets there is near Zero depth reduction when using the Smooth type timings and on others up to 20% but across the board much better than going to a DD coil and getting a reduction like 30%! Of the two Smooth class timings Enhance is better for outright depth on the majority of targets whilst still ignoring mineralisation."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob Mada said:

Hi guys new to the forum from down under. I can see there is a wealth of info on here and looking forward to taking it all in.

I recently hired a Gpz7000 and its an amazing machine however out of my budget (for now). While on that trip I was having major problems keep the machine quite. So I was advise of looking up Lunks settings for the Z. WOW this turn the trip around and picked up half a dozen bits of yella.

However I have now come into  GPX4500 and I am wondering if there are Lunks settings similar to that for the 4500. I have had a search but cant see anything as yet.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks MATE!!!!:biggrin:

Hello Rob, and welcome to the forum. I am glad you were able to score some nuggets using  my Zed settings. I had to go scrounge back in time aways on another another forum, but I managed to find my settings for the GPX 5000...they are in my second post in this thread: 

http://arizonaoutback.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9255&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

The main advantage is in the unconventional audio settings, which like my audio settings for the Zed, will work with any timing on your GPX 4500. So just choose the appropriate timing for the ground you are searching according to the chart in Steve's excellent post above. Enjoy the hunt and best of luck to you!

cheers,

• Like 4

Hi Lunk thank you ever so much, yes those Z settings were superb. I am hoping I can repeat same. This is a great site and I will learn much from it.

Thank you again Steve and Lunk hope you guys have a great weekend. 

Regards

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1