Patch Dry, Time For Different Coil?

Giddiup

Hi guys, looking for some advice. I have been lucky to have a 3km river section in north queensland mostly to myself for the last 6months...it takes an 90mins to walk in one way...so the few ounces have been well earned! A couple of small patches off to the side of the creek, the rest has been bits from the shallow creek bed. All pieces with my gpz 14 inch combo. I run it in normal high yield until the constant hot rocks slow me down too much and then its high yield difficult. Average depth would be 4-5 inches. deepest 9-10inches. Most common size has been 0.4 - 1.5 grams (with a few under 5gms) and i have dug NO deep holes for gold - very little trash in this area and deepest hole was for an old pick head. Question is, with the gold getting harder to find, would you recommend i try a 19inch coil over the same ground even though up till now there has been NO deep targets??? I heard you can run the 19 in normal a little easier than with the 14inch but i imagine hot rocks will still sound off and i cannot tell the different yet with a couple hundred hours on the machine! Thoughts appreciated. (ps a gpx with evo 14x9 has been over the patches too).

stru

Cost you what around an ounce to buy a 19 coil, you know how much you`ve scored with the 14. If you suspect there is more at depth and you can maintain the 19 just off the surface go for it. But that is from my experience with the 19, tis a magic coil for me.

I usually prefer using general, no audio smoothing, rather then HY, even going to extra deep at times, but settings, like everything in this game, tis wise to keep an open mind and experiment. Myself I swing from JPs conservative through Lunks  to Steves insane, with Bogenes thrown in at times. My settings are basically what gets the gold on the ground on the day, with coil size is basically the same as long as you can keep good coil control with even height, which is really the controlling factor along with ground depth that determines coil size to use. The 19 is not far behind the 14 in sensitivity, just gives extra depth on just about all sizes especially from 2grams up.

• Like 2

Confidence, ability and a positive attitude I believe are attributes you have JW, now once you have the 19 put it over gold too deep for the 14 and you`ll score for sure. Never mind I think............:wink: I think.........lol

21 hours ago, Giddiup said:

even though up till now there has been NO deep targets??? I heard you can run the 19 in normal a little easier than with the 14inch but i imagine hot rocks will still sound off and i cannot tell the different yet with a couple hundred hours on the machine!

Mate the very good thing about the 19" coil is it doesn`t hear the hot rocks. I nearly always use "normal" when I am running the 19", but from what you have described of your location and the gold you are getting and the depth of the gold you are getting, in my opinion you will gain no advantage what so ever with the 19" coil.  All the best, hope you find heaps. cheers Dave

thanks guys, phoenix i can't help but think you are right because i've no indication of deep gold so far, however the more stable/less hot rock sounds might keep my attention more focused (and the machine in normal ground type) for longer with good results!  As norvic suggested, i reckon i'll just go for it....only way to know for sure aye!

Giddiup, you can always dig to see if there is any deep gold in this particular area.  What i will do is pothole my patch!  With a pick and shovel i will dig down about a foot or to bedrock in an area roughly four feet by four feet all over my patch or sometimes in just the richest area.  It is hard work, but well worth it. Good luck.

Brian.

• Like 2

JW, Just don`t see what all the fuss and debate is about, but that is probably because I`ve been in this game so long, paying an ounce or so for a coil was once the norm, I am talking back a bit when gold was $300 or even less an ounce. Guess it comes down to attitude, I`d hate to cark it never finding out if something is the go or not. The most success I`ve ever got with a large coil was a Dtex concentric ( from fragmented memory cost about as much in gold as the Z19) on a Garret A2B, A2Bs were like hens teeth then and think I was "robbed" about 3ozs for one, but that was a "century" ago when the magic stuff was laying around like potatoes...........:wink: back in the "good" old days, imagine paying about 3ozs for a plain no-frills VLF now............... I guess "if you fear making a mistake you rarely make it right", that old saying was even more relevant in those days as buying a detector to find gold was seen as a wacked out thing to do by the "consensus". More chance of flapping your arms and flying to the moon if you get my drift...........oh how wrong the "consensus" seems to get it most the time.

But ML if your`ve got your ears on send me a smaller coil for the Z, or an improved 14 that handles the ground like the 19, that is what we want now.:wacko: No worries I`ll spruik your products as long as they keep getting the weight.............

3 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Hi there Norvic, Crikey mate did you shit the bed or something.

Nah, well don`t think so, tis just one of the advantages of old age, one doesn`t sleep as much. Reminds me of the yarn about Grandad and someone putting an auto turn on light in the loo.............nah can`t tell that one

5 hours ago, Nevada Brian said:

Giddiup, you can always dig to see if there is any deep gold in this particular area.  What i will do is pothole my patch!  With a pick and shovel i will dig down about a foot or to bedrock in an area roughly four feet by four feet all over my patch or sometimes in just the richest area.  It is hard work, but well worth it. Good luck.

Brian.

i like your dedication Brian!  I don't think i could hike enough water in to cover digging such a hole in 40degree heat but i won't rule out an attempt! I have heard many people say 90% of gold is shallow..i just can't get my head around there not being deep pieces where there are so many at the 5inch depth...