Found Buddha

It's finally cooled down enough here to get out and hunt a little, temps have been up around 106 and staying in the high 60's overnight. Yesterday was warm and humid and most of the time the sun was hidden by the overcast, me and the French girl hit one of my regular parks late afternoon for a couple hours of trying to find the elusive silver coin I know is hiding someplace there. I've found a dozen wheat's and beaver tails are plentiful, to rub salt in the wound one of the neighbors has told me his story of finding a seated dime in his front yard next to the park, he keeps forgetting he's already told me the story...I'm sure I'll hear it again. I've been playing with a customized Deus fast program running the disc at factory preset GB slightly negative, sensitivity at 95, 14khz, reactivity at 2 1/2 silencer -1, iron vol 1, audio 4, 4 tones with the highest frequency threshold break point elevated to 89 and the frequency set at 800 as a set hunting program and an alternate same settings with full tones to switch back and forth to help with audio discrimination. I've been playing with multi-notch and only searching display numbers 50-78 and 87-99 I'm digging a higher percentage of targets and trying to limit some of the foil while still having a chance at a gold ring, although it seems to make the audio a little Chirpy, that's where switching to the unnotched full tones gives a better second look. The locals were showing up and I was working my way back to the car when I hit a very solid tight target locked on at 90 with the round hf coil 14 kHz, down about 6" out popped what I thought was an high voltage pg&E connector, when I rubbed the dirt off it was a little Buda. Thought it was a lead token/game piece at first but after a rinse and brush the metal is much to hard, weighed almost 28g and the specific gravity is around 10.14, almost silver? My guess based on where it was found it could have been made in something like a high school jewelry class, back when I was in high school we did stuff like this and everything was mixtures of what ever silver scraps the kids collected at home plus/or bought from the teacher at class. Almost everything all the work was cast or sheet silver it was cheep and easy to work with, we used nickel silver too but the SG is much lower I think. Hard to say how he wound up buried in this little park but I think it's has to be good luck to liberate him.

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

• Like 5

Budai. A laughing monk from the Liang dynasty whom symbolizes happiness, wealth and prosperity. Often revered as the future Buddha yet to come whom will replace the current Buddha, Goutama Buddha, after his true teachings are once again lost.

Cool find. I keep a similar one carved out of tiger's eye and about the same size and pose. A gift from family purchased in Branson, Missouri...lol, of all places. :smile: In some families from Viet Nam there exists a fertility myth associated with rubbing the belly... did you rub it, daddy? :biggrin:

I'd keep that one if I found it.

• Like 3

Buddha (I'm a terrible speller, thanks Steve for the halp)... thanks Deft, Buddha is now my little lucky hunting buddy, we been chatting and he said he might show me a silver or two, just have to be careful not to be greedy or anything like that. If I behave myself when we get to gold country, no promises or such...just have to rub his belly good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work Clark! Now go find Confucius....:biggrin:

strick

Thanks Chuck, first thing I have to do is work on some communication issues, not uncommon in cross cultural relationships. Seems my new hunting friend is misunderstanding things a bit and when I say silver coin, hehe oh my, language barriers. Went back yesterday and little silver Buddha keeps thinking I'm saying torn up crumpled shredded aluminum. I tried different words thinking my accent was confusing my partner, clad quarter... must mean deep crushed aluminum can in his ancient dilalect. Guess I'm going to have to bust out the Rosetta Stone and try and sort this miscommunication thing out before this new threesome between the French girl, Buddha and me goes south.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 9:20 AM, Deft Tones said:

Budai. A laughing monk from the Liang dynasty whom symbolizes happiness, wealth and prosperity. Often revered as the future Buddha yet to come whom will replace the current Buddha, Goutama Buddha, after his true teachings are once again lost.

Cool find. I keep a similar one carved out of tiger's eye and about the same size and pose. A gift from family purchased in Branson, Missouri...lol, of all places. :smile: In some families from Viet Nam there exists a fertility myth associated with rubbing the belly... did you rub it, daddy? :biggrin:

I'd keep that one if I found it.

Deft, you seem pretty knowledgeable in this eastern stuff, interesting info you spent any time there? your little carved Buddha sounds cool, I've got something else similar carved out of olive pits a friend from Beijing gave me, not as unusual a location for this type of gift to come from as Branson.:)

IMG_1141.JPG

• Like 1

Budai in various poses, each with its own symbolism ( not sure what they mean) and 8 in number.

8 is significant in Buddhism and these likely represent good luck on the noble Eightfold Path. 

The Eightfold Path is also known as “The Middle Way”.

This is the way Buddhist followers go to achieve Nirvana and the end of suffering.

1. Right understanding

2. Right thought

3. Right speech

4. Right action

5. Right livelihood

6. Right effort

7. Right mindfulness

8. Right concentration

It's a very beautiful piece. I love the color.

No, I've never spent time in the East, but it's on my bucket list. I've studied Mandarin a bit and can get my basic point across, but I can't read it at all.  I have a particular interest in indian, chinese and japanese forms of buddhism. Most of my knowledge of Buddhism comes from studying them. My cultural knowledge of the East primarily comes from knowing several Vietnamese immigrant families and Chinese families through the language school.

• Like 3

Deft, you will have a blast in China and if you can speak a little mandarin it'll be easy getting around and people will want to talk to you a lot, they are curious to learn as much about western culture as possible and take every opportunity to study English when they can. There are opportunities teaching English if you talk to the right people, I've met people over there that have supported themselves for a couple of years teaching English and some of them I know did not speak much Chinese. I've been to a bunch of different areas and one thing in common everywhere is how hospitable most everyone is, only downside to all the hospitality is I've had to eat stuff I hate and then of course try and pretend it's good, this in turn gets you a second helping...sometimes some for the road. We had lunch with a local family in a traditional farmhouse in Shangri-la, yak butter tea, samba, yak cheese, some bread that was like pita bread and fried pork. The bread, cheese and pork were pretty good although the cheese was very strong and bitter... the yak butter tea was another story, very spoiled tasting and greasy at the same time. The samba was a flour of some sort mixed at the table by hand and was a combination of this bland flour and yak butter tea. My wife, when are hosts aren't looking kindly slips her samba onto my plate, guess I'll have thirds.

You being more aware than me in your study of Buddhism probably wouldn't make the same mistake as I did, we were heading to the farm house for lunch driving past Napa lake. This is a giant lake, no boats or people in sight anywhere around the water, I ask our friend if there are fish in the lake? Oh yes he says, but it turns out this lake is where you go after you die and the fish there eat the remains after the appropriate ritual, so fishing is kind of frowned on there as they are against the whole eating our ancestors thing...don't ask if you can fish there.

• Like 1

Yak cheese :biggrin: Thats a new one for me Clark...I'd eat a whole tray of Yak cheese if it led me to a great hunting spot. Or you could try some of  Mertons Prime rib up at Mohawk.... 

strick

• Like 1