2017 Rye Patch Nugget Shoot

On 9/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Anybody have a list of speakers and their subjects? Which vendors will actually have representatives there?

Well, I contacted forum member Sourdough Scott about this but he is not involved in the hunt this year. He was going to forward my request to the club people managing the event but I have not heard anything back. Apparently Tom with White’s will be there but other than that I have no idea.

I know you did Scott - certainly not questioning that. I guess the outing is suffering from you not being involved this year. I was just trying to drum up a little interest by posting more info but at this late date it probably does not matter much. Thanks for trying though!

Guest Jennifer
12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Brrrrr....

E3FC6B27-6EF5-47BF-8388-AFFA7E82BAA2.jpeg

Brrrrrr is right, I had to fly up to British Columbia today to attend a court date from my days in the popo (RCMP).... I'm glad I'll be back In the desert tomorrow night. 

IMG_2888.PNG

On 9/21/2017 at 12:58 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Brrrrr....

E3FC6B27-6EF5-47BF-8388-AFFA7E82BAA2.jpeg

Trade yuh!  We're having record highs here in the Midwest.  But in the interests of full disclosure, when you in the Western US were getting cooked in a sauna last month, we had one of our nicest Augusts ever.  The bigger issue is that we're in a mini-drought since late July.  That's actually OK with farmers here since their rain needs to fall early summer (which it did), and late summer the crops dry and mature.  (Rain can be a detriment at harvest-time.)  But for us detectorists, dry ground means we either don't hunt, or do and risk angering the public by leaving scarred ground.  Last couple weekends I've been working on my panning technique (which needs a lot of work) and my test garden (ditto).

What I'm really saying is I envy those of you at the Rye Patch Nugget Hunt.  Good fortune in your finds, both in the ground and around the campfire.  I retire next August and plan on joining you next year.

Postscript:  After writing this I realized that there are people in other parts of the US (and world) who are literally dealing with life-and-death weather, for example in Puerto Rico and other parts of the Carribean.  Missing a few days of detectoring is insignificant compared to that.

• Like 3