Coil Cables - Internally Routed Or Externally Wrapped?

I've never had an internally run coil wire but I have never had a problem with the external wrap from anything ... No hangups on brush, coil is quick and easy to change, Wire is stable, no movement to cause any falseing, ..... So I guess I'm good with that.

apart from a bit of fiddling to break down the 7000 compared to the 5000 i'd go internal day in day out.  Say you need the detector in a couple of parts to fit in a pack or for riding a moto i'm always more careful with the the 7000 cable insert point...maybe that's cause it cost twice as much too!

I found the Impact very quick and easy to assemble,and the unsightly coil hidden away is a step in the right direction for the third millennium AD.I am sure the ancient Greeks who built the Acropolis would have approved it as a thing of beauty, and the Romans its practicality.

Ironically I bought a cheap detector from China for $50 for my wife to pinpoint anything dug out of the ground and it too has the coil inside the rod/shaft. The wire connections were not colour coded and the detector gives a constant signal when not over a target and goes quiet when over one. Unfortunately it is impossible to extricate the rod from the detector housing as the friction is too great and now I can only consign it to the kerbside.The problem could have been easily fixed and the wire polarity reversed if the cable was wrapped around the shaft.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit to mixed feelings about the subject. When put together and in use I like the clean looks of an internally routed coil cable. Yet when it comes time to change coils I cuss them. The required rod assemblies also tend to add weight and cost to detectors. I have done as much or more diving into thick brush with a detectors as anyone and snagging cables was never an issue for me. If you dive into the bushes constantly you learn to route and wrap cables properly so as to avoid snagging. So overall while I like the clean look of an internally routed cable from a practical perspective I am fine with externally routed cables. What I mainly like is lots of coil options and all under $200.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Having cable going down the interior of rod,, can add weight, can cause for more raw materials to be used, hence more costs.

This design also makes modding a pain in the you know what too.

Now, the mighty Deus and LF coils,,,I truly think XP got ahead of themselves.

They should have made the LF coils battery wise just like they did the HF coils.

I think this would have allowed Deus sales to have even been bigger world wide.