Gpz 7000 Starting Out Video

gambler

JW,

I think that the fringe area on the 14 coil is huge.  The centering of a small target on the center of the coil or the edge is indeed a challenge.  You know a target is there but how do you get it in the scoop?  I'm left sometimes thinking the target is not there any more but I keep moving the pile until it comes back!  It is really a shock sometimes how far the final scoop (with the target in it) is from where I think it should be.  Sometimes it gets tracked out before I find it.  (Then I am sometimes really, really shocked at how small the target is!)

I've used the 14 far more than the 19 but I have recovered small targets with it.  My impression is that the coil windings are so far apart that when the received signal gets under the center of the coil it 'triangulates' very quickly and I see it directly under the center of the large coil.

This is a bit different than a 19" round Nugget Finder coil that I have for my 5000.  I can remember pinpointing with the outside of the coil (the edge) quite easily but it would also center pinpoint for me.

Mitchel

Well since I have switched from GPX to GPZ, I feel like an expert on small targets.  I know I have left a few but since then I have found that the really tough signals (disappearing ones that Michel mentioned)  are better to narrow down maybe once in the scoop and then spread around the top of the coil.   That's just what works for me when I get in the 1 grain size region.   Anything louder and I stick with the scoop all the way.

I tried to use the garrett carrot pin pointer but it is not sensitive enough to the small stuff that I am now finding.  

As for videos ... I almost think you are better just reading this forum and taking out some tiny gold samples out to test.  This will tell you far more and will give you much confidence for your conditions.  Knowing you've detected gold before with your test nugglets will give you confidence that is priceless. 

• Like 1

I used to have as much trouble as any pinpointing small targets once out of the hole and into the pile with the GPZ14. I guess you dig enough of them though and it does make a difference as I usually get them in the scoop first or second try now. As long as I make the effort to nose around properly first. Sometimes I just dive in with the scoop and then it does turn into a chase.

There are two hot spots fore and aft (four total), where the red outer windings cross the black inner winding in the diagram below. I use the front two to pinpoint small nuggets in the pile. You might think the nugget is under one hot spot when it is under the other so it takes some nosing around from multiple angles to sort out where it really is - and then scoop.

Once in the scoop I do the divide and conquer routine over the left rear hot spot. Other people like to wave over the nose of the coil. Whatever works I guess.

image.jpg

• Like 3