New White's Detector On The Way?

I mostly hunt in alluvial granite fans or bajadas with a fill dirt overlay.  Sometimes I get into basaltic lava.   And occasional I get down into the river bottom silt, which is ok unless I get into sand or gravel, then I'm back into the minerals again.  I like it though.   When I get into the good stuff I can relate to some of the depth/performance posts folks make, but the majority of the time I can't relate at all.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

You and I have the same soil Mike as do most of the people on the west coast of the U.S. That's why I generally talk more about depth in relative terms as quoting actual inches is rather meaningless and can actually make people think they have defective detectors. By that measure all my detectors plus all I ever tested are defective because none will accurately identify a dime much past 6 inches. The ground also compresses the minor differences that you can get with some detectors in mild ground to nearly nothing. So a detector that gets an extra half inch over a different detector in mild ground has only a quarter inch extra (if that) in our ground. The only way I can hit a dime at 10" is to use a PI.

I have never dug a coin at 12" in my life with a VLF.

The coins I have hit at that depth are British Victorian half pennies and pennies which are about the size of an old half dollar and are made out of copper so they hit pretty hard, they air test at around 18" and using the 3rd tone they will upset the threshold up to 28" so being the size they are it is no wonder I can dig them at that depth, I did see one guy dig one at an inch and a half deeper using the 12" coil.

The size plus the milder soil. The point I was trying to make John is that when you go on about depths like that, which are perfectly valid for you, they are just pie in the sky to a lot of us. And it sets new people up that are not detecting your large coins in your mild soil for total disappointment. They look at your numbers and of course the new White's detectors are going to fail. "John's MXT hits coins at 12" and my new MX Sport will get only half that!"

Just food for thought.

• Like 1

Yes, I have a US Quarter and 8 or 9" is the average that I can get on that in the ground,  I also have a 1881 Morgan Silver dollar but I am not going to bury that one because it is almost like new, but I should imagine it would make good depth in this soil because it is the biggest coin I have seen apart from Russian coins from the 1700's which are about 2" across.,

On 9/27/2017 at 8:06 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

You and I have the same soil Mike as do most of the people on the west coast of the U.S. That's why I generally talk more about depth in relative terms as quoting actual inches is rather meaningless and can actually make people think they have defective detectors. By that measure all my detectors plus all I ever tested are defective because none will accurately identify a dime much past 6 inches. The ground also compresses the minor differences that you can get with some detectors in mild ground to nearly nothing. So a detector that gets an extra half inch over a different detector in mild ground has only a quarter inch extra (if that) in our ground. The only way I can hit a dime at 10" is to use a PI.

I have never dug a coin at 12" in my life with a VLF.

Steve,

Standing invitation.  If you want some nice ground to detect coins in I will take a couple days off and take you to as many of my best spots as you can handle.  If you do it soon, i will only ask that you bring your PI with you as there is a terribly mineralized spot an old mansion sits on that crushes my F75.

• Thanks 1