Nokta Impact Beach Settings

Over on PA a new Impact user is asking for help because they can't get it to go deeper than a few inches and the only thing that I could come up with was to use a concentric coil, because I have not used one out in the field/beach,

And a dealer was really trying to sell me one today but not without making ***hole comments about my machine and the CTX when I asked him how it compared to mine,

anyways here is that link to PA if anyone has word of wisdom to help out,

John.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23481

Comparing to a GPX on unknown targets? Just sounds like he wished he got a PI. No matter that you can change frequencies, the Impact is still a single frequency detector and when you mix salt water and mineralized Oz soil it will suffer compared to a multifrequency and especially a PI. It should however do as well as a single frequency machine can do but without comparing to another VLF no way to know what's going on.

COG (COnductive Ground) is the go to salt water wet beach or in water mode. A related thread at Findmall Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

From the Impact User Manual page 14:

Conductive Ground (COG)
This is a special mode of the IMPACT developed for conductive grounds (salty wet sand beach, grounds with alkali soil etc.). The feature of this mode presents the ability to ignore iron and similar targets in this group and to be able to perform ground balance on any type of ground. While the device performs ground balance in the range of 20-90 automatically in the other discrimination modes, the device ground balances in the range of 0-90 in this mode. This enables easier ground balancing on conductive grounds where normally ground balance cannot be performed at all or performed with difficulty.

In this mode, the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with IDs between 0-15. For targets with IDs 16-99, it produces a higher tone which increases in pitch as the coil approaches the target. By using the Tone Break feature, you can adjust the break points of the target response tones on the Target ID range.

Different than the other modes, the Disc. is set to 15 as a default value in this mode in order to ignore ferrous metals or ground noise.

Salt water and alkali grounds are significantly conductive due to high ionization and cause effects similar to that of iron in detectors. These effects may make it impossible to search for metals with a standard detector. Existence of an iron elimination feature in a detector can improve the situation but may not be sufficient.

IMPACT's COG mode eliminates such effects and ground noise. Aspects to be taken into consideration while searching on conductive grounds are explained in more detail in the section titled Searching in Shallow Water and Beach (page 29).

And from page 29:

SEARCHING IN SHALLOW WATER AND BEACH
All search coils of the IMPACT metal detector are waterproof. This provides convenient searching in shallow water and on the beach. When searching around water, be careful not to get the system box wet. This includes the arm cup and control head electronics.

As explained before, salt water and alkali grounds are significantly conductive and cause effects similar to iron in detectors. IMPACT’s COG mode is specially designed for such conditions. You can perform your search easily using the COG mode without requiring any special settings.

COG mode is ideal for salty wet beach sand. You can use the other modes while performing search over dry beach sand.

You should consider the following while performing search over wet beach sand or water:
1)
When you swing the search coil over the holes you dig in wet beach sand, you can receive metal signals, this is a normal condition.

2) The search coil may give false signals when going into and coming out of the water so please try to keep the coil either in or out of the water. 

• Like 1