Minelab Fix For The GM 1000

Ridge Runner

The odd thing is some GM 1000 work great out of the box. Then others have trouble with the small coil. But then you have people like me and a few others have trouble with both coils.

It would be interesting to know if Minelab has more than one plant where GM 1000 comes together. Then too if Minelab had to buy their electronics from another company that could of been substandard without knowing it.

This wouldn't be the first time a top name company got the shaft unknowing what they were buying was substandard.

How many of you have sent your GM 1000 in to Minelab ?

Chuck

I will admit at this point it is all a mystery to me. Obviously the issue is limited to certain combinations of coils and particular machines but that is the most I can figure given the reports we have had so far. I am going to fire up my nearly unused small coil just to see what happens since all I ever use normally is the 10" coil. I really am sorry for the problems you have had Chuck. First the MX Sport and now this. The detector gods just seem to be dumping on you :sad:

Steve to ease the pain I ask for a loaner of a 7000 but I'm sure you know the answer to that one.haha

Chuck

PS I came out on top with the MX and I'm sure Minelab won't let me down. When you got people like White's and Minelab they were here yesterday today plus many more tomorrows you can't go wrong. I called the companies people because that's what makes it what it is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About noon today I got my first call from Minelab Repair Center in Pa. The guy just wanted to go over on the somewhat long note I'd sent with my GM 1000. He ask the questions and we went over the trouble I was having. The problem he couldn't get it to false on either coil but maybe just a little on the small one when he bump it. He said he was going to do more testing and would get back with me.

I've got a feeling this will be like when you take your car in and when the repair man looks at it ,it runs like a new one. He did say he may replace the small coil but but not sure. When I do get it back I'll take it about a hundred miles from here that may be near the same type of ground where I was in Colorado.

You could tell this guy wanted to  fix my problem but he just had to find it to do so . Of all the Minelab detectors I've had this is the first one to have trouble with. I guess the trouble could be me but like I told him this is not my first nugget detector.

Only time will tell.

Chuck

PS I did make a comment about others having the same trouble with the small coil and one guy like me having trouble with both coils. He did say yes on that but still don't know the cause. 

best wishes, Chuck!  Replacing the small coil would seem the easiest path...for you and them.

One problem with technicians is they don't take the detector out for a real world test run...I know that is not practical but it might help with finding the problem...

fred 

Chuck, I dont know about you, but I also have a problem with both coils and for me when I turn the unit on for the day it is a little touchy but not terrible. It only becomes really bad after a couple hours use. If your problem is similar, the tech could turn it on and find it was OK, while you noticed that running it for a time it was extra touchy. Mine, once having run for a half day will make dozens of chirps when slid lightly over the ground (chirp every time it touches a little rock. It does this with both the small and large coils.

Chris

My trouble was as soon as I turn it on. No matter what I done I couldn't make it better. Then again back home in mild soil no problem. If they can't find something on my GM but over time they will being it's so many having the same problem. I told him so many saying the same and they just don't know at this point in time what's the problem.

I said this from the beginning my trouble is in both coils. Some it's just the small coil but only a few like us trouble in both. If I was you I wouldn't be sitting on the trouble you having. Minelab wants all of us to be happy when we buy from them and they will do whatever it takes to make it right. They want our business over and over again.

Chuck

Chuck, if the issue does not occur in mild soil and only in bad mineralization, then that would more likely be a mineralization and sensitivity settings problem. Touch sensitivity is a hardware problem and should occur in any soil. If there is not a hardware problem the issue will not duplicate in the shop. There is ground that requires a PI detector and where a hot VLF is going to give problems.

• Like 2