Minelab Fix For The GM 1000

Ridge Runner

Wondering if it is an issue with the auto ground balancing being out of wack, hence causing the touch sensitivity.  I know the Deus (and other VLF's) get very touchy if the ground balance is set too low, falsing on grass etc.  Especially if it can be replicated on both coils.

• Like 1

Quoting from Minelab's brochure:

The advanced GOLD MONSTER 1000 uses an intermediate 45 kHz frequency AND a high speed 24-bit signal processor. This primary combination greatly boosts sensitivity to gold beyond that of other single frequency VLF detectors over a wide range of nugget sizes, without introducing excess noise and false signals.  

Well it looks like they got that last part kind of wrong; since the falsing seems to be happening mainly at higher sensitivity levels, I suspect that the current coil technology can't handle the Monsters boosted sensitivity, and that a new coil design is needed to fix the issue.

Good point Steve.  Since my GM has the falsing, I'll be sending it into Minelab, but not until they figure out exactly what the problem is caused by; I'm having too much fun finding gold with it to send it in just yet. ?

• Like 1

It sounds that some who didn't have trouble at first may have now. The only trouble we the ones that bought the GM 1000 can talk all day on what it may be the cause. The repair center has to find the cause and the action to cure the problem.

The kick in the butt is with the ones that don't have trouble now but as sure as grass is green they will.

I had got one of the first 200 TDI's and at first it worked great but later I started having trouble. I sent it in and they sent it back and I'm sure they tested it but couldn't find the trouble. I turn it on and had the same trouble. I sent it back again and got it back but the trouble still wasn't fixed. The third time Jimmy S. called White's said send him a new one. That fixed my problem and never had it again. On this I was the only one but with GM 1000 to too many having the same problem.

Like one guy on here got that new one with the same trouble.

Minelab has to find what's causing the trouble soon. Just think how many may be going out the door and will be coming back. You that want the Equinox may have to wait on the recall of all the GM's. If just the coil would be a easy fix but the electronics in the GM may be another story.

Chuck

Hang on to your seat this a funny one.

I just got a text from Minelab repair center saying my repair on my GM 1000 was complete. Whoever said I could pick it up anytime. I ask them if they would be so kind to ship it back to me. I told them it was a long drive for me. I did ask what they had done to it but no reply as of yet.

Is that not odd?

Chuck

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Hang on to your seat this a funny one.

I just got a text from Minelab repair center saying my repair on my GM 1000 was complete. Whoever said I could pick it up anytime. I ask them if they would be so kind to ship it back to me. I told them it was a long drive for me. I did ask what they had done to it but no reply as of yet.

Is that not odd?

Chuck

Yes indeedy, that is odd.----Let's just hope they got it FIXED this time!

The Gold Monster I am using works perfectly with the 5 inch coil and I've found some truly tiny pieces of gold.  The 10 inch coil is another matter-it sometimes works okay, but after a bit of time, the coil detects a target, but on the back sweep the target has disappeared.  When this happens it continues for the remainder of use.  Kinda indicates a coil defect or a defect with the automatic ground balance.

While this is a problem, I'm more annoyed by the ergonomics of the unit.  When I set the detector down to pinpoint the target in the Jobe scoop, it promptly tips over and when I lean the unit against my shoulder, it spins around so the back of the coil plate faces out. Totally annoying and very time consuming.  But I really like the new technology that Minelab and others are trying out on us detectorists. 

If you I wouldn't sit on the trouble with the large coil. The time is ticking away on your warranty. That stand on the GM is less than worthless. We should be sending it back on that alone.

I see the same stand on the Equinox but someone on here said it would be different when it hits the market.

Back to the GM. I like the looks of the shaft the Equinox is on. I'm going to try to get one for my GM and maybe the stand too if better.

Chuck