Minelab Equinox Unveiled!

Hi, all.

I haven't posted often, as I really don't do much gold hunting with a detector.  I have a friend who has a few gold claims in Colorado, and on occasion I will accompany him, swinging a machine on the bank while he dredges.  That was the reason I originally joined -- trying to learn to use a Gold Bug Pro in that environment, from Steve and others who are truly "top notch."

However, I'm primarily a coin hunter -- specifically, old, deep coins from largely hunted-out public spots.  For this task, I am very strongly convinced (through experience) that the very best machines available for that application are Minelab's FBS/FBS2 machines (Safari/Explorer/E-Trac/CTX).  Reason being -- they have UNPARALLELED ability to accurately ID targets (visually, on screen, and audibly, through their multi-tonal output) -- through the entire depth range of the units.  The FBS machines are not necessarily the DEEPEST machines, in terms of "raw depth."  BUT, they are unmatched with respect to their ability to ID targets all the way to the fringe depth capability of the machines, in a variety of soil types.  They accomplish this with a degree of accuracy that no other machine I've ever used/tested is capable of.  

SO, my long-winded question is this, for anyone "in the know."  The "multi-frequency mode" on this machine is NOT FBS, it is apparently called "Multi IQ," and is being called "state-of-the-art" technology.  My question is -- SPECIFICALLY as it relates to deep, old coin hunting in turf -- WILL THIS UNIT'S MULTI-FREQUENCY MODE EQUAL OR EXCEED the performance we Explorer/E-Trac/CTX users get from the FBS platform, specifically as it relates to accurate ID through the entire depth range of the unit.

I absolutely LOVE the "rest of the package" here.  User-selectable single frequencies, lightweight, wireless, prospecting mode, waterproof, fast, etc. -- but for me, the KICKER, the one thing that will push me over the edge, and finally cause me to lay down my Explorer, will revolve around the performance of this unit in "multi-frequency mode," as this is the mode I'd use most often for my style of hunting.  

Can anyone give me the straight scoop, at this point, on this SPECIFIC aspect of the machine -- Multi IQ technology?

If not at this point, then anyone who eventually tests this unit and is permitted to comment at a later time, I'm all ears...

Steve

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, steveg said:

Can anyone give me the straight scoop, at this point, on this SPECIFIC aspect of the machine -- Multi IQ technology?

Since the detector is still in the final stages of development and will likely not be available for some months, I don't see how anyone could answer this question with any degree of certainty. It sounds like Brandon Niece (Dr. Tones) is in the best position to comment on that question. He has stated in his video the CTX is now his second tier unit. Which I see on other forums was promptly dismissed as hype.

Here is something for people to think about. When did the words "multifrequency" and "ultra fast" ever get used together before? Yes, I agree with you Steve that when it comes to target id accuracy multifrequency cannot be beat. The real weakness has been recovery speed in trash. Now think about  multifrequency target id accuracy combined with Deus type recovery speeds. If the Deus has a real weakness it is target id accuracy, especially as regards modern trash.

I used to take two machines to Hawaii, one to hunt in the water, and one hotter machine to hunt the dry sand. Now I can hunt in the water in multifrequency mode, then get up on the towel line and switch to 40 kHz to hunt microjewelry.

The Prospecting Mode is clearly still not done, and it will be interesting to find out is to what degree this machine can deal with the old rule that multipurpose machines are not as good as dedicated detectors for gold prospecting.

I am with you on this Steve as regards how the Equinox multifrequency mode compares directly to prior Minelab models for depth and target id accuracy. Yet as my few examples above illustrate there is more going on here than just sheer depth. The Equinox is likely to slay the CTX and prior even slower models in dense trash. If a detector finds a target another machine misses completely, even if it is only a few inches deep, which detector would the user consider to be the "deeper" of the two?

Just a little food for thought.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, steveg said:

Hi, all.

I haven't posted often, as I really don't do much gold hunting with a detector.  I have a friend who has a few gold claims in Colorado, and on occasion I will accompany him, swinging a machine on the bank while he dredges.  That was the reason I originally joined -- trying to learn to use a Gold Bug Pro in that environment, from Steve and others who are truly "top notch."

However, I'm primarily a coin hunter -- specifically, old, deep coins from largely hunted-out public spots.  For this task, I am very strongly convinced (through experience) that the very best machines available for that application are Minelab's FBS/FBS2 machines (Safari/Explorer/E-Trac/CTX).  Reason being -- they have UNPARALLELED ability to accurately ID targets (visually, on screen, and audibly, through their multi-tonal output) -- through the entire depth range of the units.  The FBS machines are not necessarily the DEEPEST machines, in terms of "raw depth."  BUT, they are unmatched with respect to their ability to ID targets all the way to the fringe depth capability of the machines, in a variety of soil types.  They accomplish this with a degree of accuracy that no other machine I've ever used/tested is capable of.  

SO, my long-winded question is this, for anyone "in the know."  The "multi-frequency mode" on this machine is NOT FBS, it is apparently called "Multi IQ," and is being called "state-of-the-art" technology.  My question is -- SPECIFICALLY as it relates to deep, old coin hunting in turf -- WILL THIS UNIT'S MULTI-FREQUENCY MODE EQUAL OR EXCEED the performance we Explorer/E-Trac/CTX users get from the FBS platform, specifically as it relates to accurate ID through the entire depth range of the unit.

I absolutely LOVE the "rest of the package" here.  User-selectable single frequencies, lightweight, wireless, prospecting mode, waterproof, fast, etc. -- but for me, the KICKER, the one thing that will push me over the edge, and finally cause me to lay down my Explorer, will revolve around the performance of this unit in "multi-frequency mode," as this is the mode I'd use most often for my style of hunting.  

If not at this point, then anyone who eventually tests this unit and is permitted to comment at a later time, I'm all ears...

Steve

+1.  What I was trying to say in my coin forum post, but you said it much better SteveG.  And I also agree with Steve H. that the perception of improved depth performance will be will be a result of the recovery speed in trash.  

Tim

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Since the detector is still in the final stages of development and will likely not be available for some months, I don't see how anyone could answer this question with any degree of certainty. It sounds like Brandon Niece (Dr. Tones) is in the best position to comment on that question. He has stated in his video the CTX is now his second tier unit. Which I see on other forums was promptly dismissed as hype.

Here is something for people to think about. When did the words "multifrequency" and "ultra fast" ever get used together before? Yes, I agree with you Steve that when it comes to target id accuracy multifrequency cannot be beat. The real weakness has been recovery speed in trash. Now think about  multifrequency target id accuracy combined with Deus type recovery speeds. If the Deus has a real weakness it is target id accuracy, especially as regards modern trash.

I used to take two machines to Hawaii, one to hunt in the water, and one hotter machine to hunt the dry sand. Now I can hunt in the water in multifrequency mode, then get up on the towel line and switch to 40 kHz to hunt microjewelry.

The Prospecting Mode is clearly still not done, and what will be interesting to find out is to what degree this machine can deal with the old rule that multipurpose machines are not as good as dedicated detectors for gold prospecting.

I am with you on this Steve as regards how the Equinox multifrequency mode compares directly to prior Minelab models for depth and target id accuracy. Yet as my few examples above illustrate there is more going on here than just sheer depth. The Equinox is likely to slay the CTX in dense trash. If a detector finds a target another machine misses completely, even if it is only a few inches deep, which detector would the user consider to be the "deeper" of the two?

Steve, 

I saw that comment from Brandon Niece, about his CTX being relegated to "second tier."  I wonder what context he used that in -- ability to hunt in iron, or ability to ID at depth?  Or, both?

Which leads to the larger issue.  I totally agree with you about FBS's weakness being recovery speed in trash, and the Deus (and other similar units) weakness being target ID, especially at depth.  This is why -- just as you said about your trips to Hawaii -- turf coin hunters need (at least) two machines, or -- at least HAVE needed two, up until now.

I also totally agree with you in your last paragraph, discussing how there is "more going on than just sheer depth."  Absolutely.  And yes, the Equinox will likely "slay the CTX in dense trash."  I totally agree with you.  But, the problem is this -- the Deus, for example, also "slays the CTX in dense trash."  YES, that's a very important part of coin detecting -- dense trash hunting.  But it's only HALF of it.  Depth, and ID with depth, is the "other half," and it's why my Explorer is, thus far, far from being "obsolete."  

To elaborate further...obviously, I am hunting public spots that have been HAMMERED, for the last 40-50 years.  The cherry-picking of easy, old coins is largely over.  If you want to find old coins in the vast majority of public spots, as I see it you have to be either A.) better at hunting "deep" than the other guys have been, or B.) better at hunting in thick trash (especially iron, where coins are partially masked) than the other guys have been.  Ideally, you should be able to do BOTH of these things better than those before you.  And yet, to do BOTH of these things, it has required two different machines (and, of course, two different skill sets).

I already ACCEPTED, as you have, that the Equinox will have the "hunting in trash" part well-handled.  That's why I was primarily focused on the "depth/ID at depth" issue.  Ideally, what I would like would be NOT to simply replace my "fast recovery, better at hunting in iron and other trash" machine with the Equinox.  I would like it to replace BOTH -- my Explorer included.  And so, since I am already convinced it will be a great machine in trash, I am MOST interested in the "accurate ID at depth" part of the equation.  If this machine can hunt in iron like a Deus, and at depth like an FBS unit, then I am ENTIRELY SOLD.  But, this is where I remain skeptical...I have to see this machine meet or exceed FBS (or hear it from trusted sources) before I believe it.

THANKS for your reply!

Steve

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

+1.  What I was trying to say in my coin forum post, but you said it much better SteveG.  And I also agree with Steve H. that the perception of improved depth performance will be will be a result of the recovery speed in trash.  

Tim

No doubt, Tim.  Totally agree with both you and Steve, that if a machine finds coins that are "shallow," but that other machines miss due to trash density, it is worth standing up and taking notice.  Again, though, my HOPE is that this unit can do both -- essentially, an improved "Deus" when running single frequency, and an improved "Explorer or E-Trac" when switching into multi-frequency.  If it can do both of these things, then it's a big-time game-changer for me...

Steve

A very sensible attitude Steve, don't blame you one little bit. I am sure it will all sort out sooner or later. The main point I was trying to make is that if the machine is still at prototype stage, as appears to be the case, then the question really can't be answered until final full production units are available. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A very sensible attitude Steve, don't blame you one little bit. I am sure it will all sort out sooner or later. The main point I was trying to make is that if the machine is still at prototype stage, as appears to be the case, then the question really can't be answered until final full production units are available. 

Yep, you are right.  Probably letting my excitement cause me to jump the gun a little bit...  :)

I will have to wait patiently for some more information...

Thanks!

Steve