Minelab Equinox Unveiled!

Just looked that over.....LOL site is running rampant with speculation and dreams.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2017 at 4:24 AM, johnedoe said:

That is a very interesting bit of info.

This is what I was told by someone who I met at Detectival when we were discussing the new Equinox.

He said that he was a witness to a accident not far from Detecival and the Whites rep got out of her taxi to help because she was also a trained doctor. She left the prototype machine in a bag near to where she was helping treat the accident victims and the bag got stolen. 

It was all go at Detectival but not a great deal of finds to the amount of detectorist there, which was quite a disappointing. 

She didn't leave the bag in the taxi?

Why would she remove the bag from the taxi?

minelab-equinox-series-metal-detectors.jpg

Anyway, back to Equinox. I watched a couple videos again and took notes. These notes apply to the Equinox 800 - the Equinox 600 has fewer advanced features but I do not know where the lines are drawn except that the 600 lacks the 20 and 40 kHz frequencies and the Prospect Mode.

Settings may be varied and changes observed while machine operates. This as opposed to machines that force you to make settings changes in a menu, then go to hunt mode to see how the change affected performance. Seems a small deal until you experience the difference. This is not new - many detectors allow this. It's just good to know the Equinox supports it also.

Adjustable tone breaks. I have seen commentary that the ferrous range is fixed. Reality is you can move the tone breaks.

Adjustable volume break? I think the speaker was referring to tone volume. This used to be just ferrous volume on some machines but why limit it to just that? Don't know, this one was a bit unclear.

There are of course both volume and true threshold controls.

There are tone setting option of 1, 2, 5, and 25 tones

There are both auto and manual Noise Cancel (EMI) settings

There is both manual ground balance and automatic ground tracking

The 800 comes with both low latency APTX Bluetooth built in and Minelab's own faster WiStream technology. APTX is slower than WiStream but good enough for many, and allows the use of hundreds of aftermarket Bluetooth headphone options. WiStream is like the WM10 and WM12 used on the CTX and GPZ but the WM 08 module is smaller - maybe no built in speaker? Appears to be the case in this capture below....

minelab-wm08-wireless-module.jpg

There is also wired headphone capability

The Detect Speed (Reactivity) setting runs from 1 - 8 and supposedly equals or exceeds Deus settings even while in multifrequency mode. In general higher settings mean better separation but less depth. Lower setting mean more depth but require slower coil operation.

The Li-Ion battery is built into the unit. This sealed battery arrangement eliminates a major leak issue compared to detectors that have a battery compartment that must be opened and then resealed. The unit can be charged while in use via any of the huge number of after market USB battery bricks sold for use with cell phones and other items. The battery life is in excess of ten hours (stated in video) or 12 hours (from back of box photos) but I am already thinking a battery brick under my arm to better balance the machine and add extra operating hours.

Well, that's about all my detective work was able to find. I guess now it is just wait and see what develops. Sounds like months no matter what so we may as well all calm down and go about our business in the meantime.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The news seems to just be getting better and better.  On another forum, Steve pointed out that it seems like - for too long - the market leaders were chasing big $$$ in the African gold fields and ignoring is relic, jewelry, coin and history hunters on the other continents.  For Minelab at least, that is clearly over.  Excellent.

• Like 2

Seeing if I can post the 100th reply.  Maybe I'll get a prize!

With the response we've seen (here and on other MD sites) just for the sizzle, imagine the frenzy when they start serving the steaks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The CTX and Explorers/Etrac have a choice of response rather than Normal.  I like smooth or long.

Is that available on the Equinox?

Mitchel

On 16/09/2017 at 9:24 AM, Cabin Fever said:

Minelab's not messing around!  At these price points and features, this is going to sting the competition if these detectors perform.

Bryan

Hmm not so sure ,disappointing launch ,only the head phones are wireless ,still has the unbiblical coil cable chord ,all the audio heard was out of the machine speaker, the blue tooth connection even with APTX with the machines maximum recovery speed will be a joy to listen to !! ,, much more to do on these machines' reckon  ,brilliant concept.

How can you launch a new product which is not for sale ,call me old fashioned,and the ,,these buttons do stuff bit on video ,, killed it for me,,very amateurish ,