Minelab Equinox Unveiled!

Another detectorist opts out. You can't please everyone. Call me old-fashioned, but I hate the XP "charge the coil, controller, and headphones" system with inherently expensive and limited coil options. I want a pile of affordable wired coils that work underwater. If APTX does not float your boat, then the E800 also includes faster speed WiStream.

The nice thing is we have a market full of choices to suit different people. No one detector will ever suit everybody. Nor should it.

My commentary above is not meant to trash the Deus. Greatest thing since sliced bread and somebody needed to do it. It's just not my cup of tea for multiple reasons. Just like the Equinox will not suit many people.

The Equinox is obviously built with cell phone type electronics, I wonder how long a detector built like this will last with moderate use. Current cell phones have a use life of about 4.7 years.

• Like 1

Minelab would clean house in the market if they produced a wireless discriminating pinpointer to pair with the Equinox. Then keep the whole package under a grand.

Pick up the ball XP dropped with their pinpointer. That could be a potential knockout combination punch.

Can you imagine? Maybe they're working on it.

• Like 2

Pretty close. The CTX 11" Pro Coil is very hard to beat.  One of the few stock coils you don't feel like you have to replace with an aftermarket coil. 

Bryan

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to some field reports from trusted sources, SPECIFICALLY with regards to how the multi-frequency mode performs in a coin-hunting scenario.  This machine looks like it will be "good," and very solid competition with several single-frequency VLF-type units.  If that proves to be true -- if it entirely "holds its own" against units like the Deus, etc., then Minelab has done a nice job.  But, what would pull me in and make me a buyer is the in-ground performance of the MULTI-FREQUENCY mode.  How well this mode performs (depth, and ID accuracy at depth) is what would push this machine, for me, into a class above all other single-frequency units, and thus seal the deal for me in terms of becoming an 800 owner.  

Can't wait until this real-world, in-the-field information starts coming in...

Steve

• Like 1