Minelab Equinox Unveiled!

On 9/23/2017 at 4:23 PM, steveg said:

But, what would pull me in and make me a buyer is the in-ground performance of the MULTI-FREQUENCY mode. How well this mode performs (depth, and ID accuracy at depth) is what would push this machine, for me, into a class above all other single-frequency units

If this quote from Minelab can be trusted then it sounds like you will get your wish....

”Multi-IQ achieves a high level of target ID accuracy at depth much better than any single frequency detector can achieve”

Since 2014 I have been on a quest to find my perfect all around detector. So far without success, but the Equinox 800 comes closer than anything yet. The next few months are going to be interesting!

• Like 4

Yep, I saw that, Steve.  It absolutely caught my attention, and piqued my interest.

I agree with you that so far, the Equinox looks like it is going to come as close to anything I've seen at competing with my Explorers, and in a much lighter, waterproof, less-expensive package...

I'm on a wait list now, as I've been convinced enough to get my hands on one and put it through some testing...  :)

Steve

steveg

I found out long ago it cost just a little more to go first class and that is why I too went with the 800.

My trouble now is I find myself each day looking all over the net for any word about the big day we'll get it.

The Best

Chuck

Found this photo on another forum. The poster said they pulled it off a Facebook page so I don't know if it's legit.. if accurate it gives a little more info on the Equinox..  I feel a little uneasy posting this since it's not verified but here it is.. Just keep the lack of sources in mind.

Bryan

7B198BA8-00E3-400B-80FE-5321C054434A-7267-00001E4FCBE83895.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Because that is the number the marketing folks stuck in there when they did the studio photo. Somebody was probably told a 50 target id number range meant a high end of 50, when you in actual fact only go to 40 due to 0 to negative 9 occupying the ferrous part of the range.

This stuff happens all the time. Almost every screen shot of a White's MX7 on the internet now is wrong except for the couple I posted. A early production mockup photo got passed along and now every sales site out there has it, even though it is wildly different than what a person will get if they order one.

minelab-equinox-metal-detector-large-studio-multifrequency-waterproof.jpg

It looks like from this last picture you posted Steve that the grip and screen will slide and adjust on the shaft. Which means you could easily adapt this to any similar diameter shaft like the Gold Monster does. Interesting, people will be modding these as soon as they get em lol

I am pre ordering one myself. Can't wait to try it out

On 9/19/2017 at 10:23 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Another detectorist opts out. You can't please everyone. Call me old-fashioned, but I hate the XP "charge the coil, controller, and headphones" system with inherently expensive and limited coil options. I want a pile of affordable wired coils that work underwater. If APTX does not float your boat, then the E800 also includes faster speed WiStream.

The nice thing is we have a market full of choices to suit different people. No one detector will ever suit everybody. Nor should it.

My commentary above is not meant to trash the Deus. Greatest thing since sliced bread and somebody needed to do it. It's just not my cup of tea for multiple reasons. Just like the Equinox will not suit many people.

Steve, really appreciate your honest opinion on the XP Deus...most posters on other forums won't talk about the negatives and you hit the big ones in your first paragraph! Sure it's lightweight and finds stuff in iron infested sites.....but when I also read that the coils go into "sleep mode" and cannot be turned off when not in use, I opted out. There were just too many issues for me and I was close to buying one.:sad:

Bill

Waiting on the Equinox 800

Like I said I am not trying to trash the Deus - what I am doing is describing my own preferences. The Deus is a groundbreaking detector that serves many people very well. However, the Equinox design decisions suit my uses better, that's all..

Everybody has favorite detectors and many people seem to get too attached to the machine -  "insult my detector and you are insulting me buddy"! Pretty silly really for things that in most cases are just toys for grown ups.

• Like 2

Hi Steve and Everyone,

This is my first post so please go easy one me :wacko:

Below is a list of my current detectors and my brief opinion on same:

GPZ7000 with 17” coil – Best gold machine ever - paid for itself many times over

GPX5000 with 5 coils – Old but gold however don’t use now have Z

SDC2300 – Awesome constantly used - also paid for itself

CTX3030 with 3 coils – Don’t use anymore - Tech great but heavy and to complicated for me

Makro Red Racer – Good bang for buck but don’t use anymore

Makro Racer 2 with 4 coils – Excellent use frequently

Nokta Impact with 3 coils – Not as good as the hype - don’t use anymore

ATX with 3 coils – Good on beach - don't like on gold - Heavy - don’t use anymore

Garrett Sea Hunter with 2 coils – Awesome on beach and underwater

AT Pro with 3 coils – Old don’t use anymore

AT Gold – Don't like for anything but silver coins - don’t use anymore

AT Max – Nothing special - don’t use anymore

Tesoro Silver Umax with 2 coils – Basic but good beginner don’t use

Tesoro Vaquero with 2 coils – Basic but awesome - use regularly

Tesoro Tejon with 3 coils – Awesome but not much better than Vaquero - don’t use anymore

Tesoro Cortes with 2 coils – Couldn’t be bothered learning this one - don’t use

Whites MX Sport – Disappointing - don’t use

XP Deus with 3 coils inc new 54 khz oval coil– Excellent most frequently used relic & coin machine

Others that I can’t remember

Yes, I know, I have a disease.

Remember, these are ONLY MY OPINIONS based on both my style of detecting and the locations I detect.
Parks, Cobb & Co stops, abandoned mining town sites, beach's (dry and wading) and of course the gold fields.

I no longer work so travel around Australia and detecting are what fills my days.

Point being, for the first time I am actually excited about a new detector.

Currently I travel with GPZ, SDC, Racer 2, Sea Hunter,  Vaquero and Deus.

While I will never have the understanding of the tech that Steve and others have, the Equinox 800 is looking like the only machine I will need to load for each trip (along with the Z and SDC of course!).

So I have ordered an 800 from Nenad and am delaying my next departure until I have the unit to take with me.
I just cant believe that everything that I want has been put into one unit.
Had hoped the Impact was that unit but not being submersible kind of ruined it for me.

Anyways, time will tell but I think this thing is going to be a winner.

20170206_113743.jpg

20161229_100712.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1