Concentric Vs DD

I found this video that clearly shows why Concentric coils are better than DD's, This Guy is using a mid priced machine and two budget machines one costs about 200 bucks and the other is about 350.00 bucks both fitted with concentric coils, I have used concentric for years although I own a few of DD's I don't use them because they restrict any detector way too much, many people say you need a small DD for target separation well that is just not true in most cases and I find that they just don't work well enough along with the fact that they miss ID targets and lack the sensitivity of a concentric, Having proved this to my self using my GMT.

J.

Yes Steve,  you have made the trip over here and done really well with the machines and coils you used so you would know what ground conditions are like here, I have searched some of my sites with DD's for a few years and when I changed to concentrics for some reason I did a lot better hunting the same ground,  I like DD's but my success rate on old coins has been limited to say the leased,

I have lost faith in DD's because of that, because when you sweep one way and get a high tone then you turn 90* and this time you get a low tone which normally means junk, But what happens in the video does cause some concern because a concentric will ID a target in both directions which makes me wonder how many targets do we walk away from when using DD's,, and the fact this guy in the video is using two "very" budget detectors and they can ID the coins does make one think,

J.

Good info, Steve...thanks1

Jim

In the last few month i have been gradually drifting back into using Concentric coils on some of my everyday machines,well on the machines that allow both coil usage except the T2 and the Deus as both dont allow Concentric coils too be used.

The specific sites/permissions that i hunt can/are be very trashy like roman and saxon sites,so i feel that Concentric coils are the best tools for the job in those situation,currently working a large permission that is right next door to the great north roman road which is often called the A1 from London up North,its certainly a very productive site but one does also encounter 2000 years of trash as well,so although that i do have machines like the Deus,T2 and some other modern machines,the best machine/s for the job are the Laser B1/B3 which Tesoro based machines tweaked for the UK and and also one that has totally blown me away is a 20 year old IDX Pro all these machines have got Concentric coils on,but not only have the finds improved i must admit by a massive margin but also the enjoyment factor has come back again.......just these 2 things are in my mind the most important part of detecting 'increased finds rate and the enjoyment factor' and its only since using these old classic analogue machines which also have Concentric coils on.

I still use very small DD coils on a few of my detectors in the 5-6'' coil size predominately the 5'' T2 coil and also the NEL Snake on a modern Trident 11 Extreme or basically its a Vaquero but on steroids and when used with these small DD coils on excel in target separation on Medieval village sites which can be a very daunting environment with a large coil on.

Although i do basically use both DD and Concentric coils,i am starting too enjoy Concentric coils more and more,the trick is using the knowledge that one can only basically gain from years of experience on deciding  which coil/detector combination too use on that site that you are working that day,alas the current stock coils that most detectors have these days are 'happy medium' coils,its always wise if possible to have a selection of coils for your machine/s this in theory should cover most of your detecting needs,but of course we all detect different targets around the world,the only common denominator is that they are all metal,some hunt gold nuggets in Aussie land or Arizona,in my case i hunt a wide spectrum of finds here in the UK,so we all use the best tools for the job for your region.

Some folks will be out this weekend hunting gold with say a GPZ with a 19'' coil on,but i will be using a 20 year old IDX Pro with a Concentric coil on,this just shows what at the time we consider the best tools for the job.Do i have some modern high tech machines,of course i do,but i only use them for site specific use.

DD and Concentric coils do have advantages and Disadvantages,the hardest part and the skill is choosing the  right one for the task that day :wink:

• Like 4