Sign in to follow this  
DetectiveDick

Rock Tumblers?

I use a 12 pound Lortone to clean my clad coins with aquarium gravel.  It works great.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Norm S
      I cashed in my clad at coinstar this afternoon. I have had my 800 for 6 weeks and my 600 for about 3 weeks. 
      I cashed in at coinstar for a total of $172.66.. I had quit counting what I had after I knew I had almost $100 but never dreamed I had as much as I had. 
      I have to admit I hit a cpl awesome parks and even though they had been hunted recently I cleaned up. I actually believe there is more at the one park but in an area I gridded I only found about $3 in two hours. In an area the other guy missed I found $9 in clad in a 30' x 30' area bordered by a sidewalk. 
      I also hunted 3 other areas that I had hit really hard with both my Etrac and V3i. One soccer field that I took over $100 out of the past cpl of years I must have really cleaned it out because I found 3 cents. Another area I had hit hard with the Etrac before i got the Equinox. That area I found 40 cents. The last area which was a park that is hunted all the time I found 70 cents in 3 hours.
      I hunted an old soccer field yesterday and everything was deep.I had been there with my Etrac and only found a cpl of dimes and a nickel. Everything I found was 8" or more with the exception of a cpl surface pennies. I pulled out $3.48 in about 2 hours.. I have a cpl more places on my radar as well. I like hunting parks that others have hunted because it makes me feel the Equinox is superior to other detectors but in reality I think it the person that was detecting didn't know his detector very well.
      I also have 2 silver rings and a silver pendent. 
    • By DukeBoxer
      Something just popped into my mind and I thought I'd ask everyone...has anyone ever taken a found ring to a jeweler and had them re-finish it and shine it up so that they could then sell it for significantly more than they would've gotten for it at melt? I was wondering if doing this would be (more) profitable...found ring is worth $x in melt value + $y to make it sparkle. Could the value of a nice shiny new ring be greater than $x+$y. I know things are only worth what someone would pay for it but maybe just maybe...
    • By Bhogg
      Hi All
      I’m in an area that’s got some pretty sandy ground and some of the coins especially the copper coins are pretty much unrecognisable and even the slivers are very badly stained with a blackish look to them.
      So I’m just wondering what seems to work the best to bring them back to life so they resemble what they should look like?, I don’t expect them to look fantastic due to how bad there condition is in now but it’d be great to at least be able to recognise what they are.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Cheers
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Credit for this info goes to johndoe here.
      This is the app I use.. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coinflation-gold-silver/id535653219?mt=8 
      Here is there website.... http://www.coinflation.com
      The phone app has melt values for junk gold and silver.

• By beatup
      Steve i don't know if this is the proper place for this ,but here goes . A friend wanted me to knapp an arrowhead for his grand daughter and mount one of the gold nuggets i found this winter into it so i got a piece of mexican velvet obsidian and one of my nuggets and made it up,just thought it was an interesting use for some of my gold.

• By Bryce
      Thanks to those who keyed me in to using CLR for removong rust from rocks/specimens.
      This rock wasn't found with my detector. Got it quite a few years ago from the Mactung tungstein exploration camp on the Yukon/North West Territories border near the portal. It's heft made me interested and thankfully the chief geo at site let me keep it. Years it sat in my collection, but once I got my GM1000 I tested the more interesting rocks in my collection. This rock detected constantly in the non ferrous and strong. 
      It sure cleaned up well, and the blue dotted pic is the Scheelite fluoresceing under short wave UV light (Calcium Tungstate, CaWO4)
      Cheers!
      Bryce