When In Heat That’s Too Hot To Hunt

Many moons ago I could take the heat 8 hours or more coin hunting. Today is a different story being older and yet so tender. I sit around taking a trip down memory lane on these hot days that hit around a 100. I love nugget hunting but coin hunting has paid off over and over again for me. I started out back in 65 when everything was coming up silver. To find a silver half dollar was a common thing and a silver dollar now and then. I've found lots of coins but yet to find a gold one. Don't get me wrong I'd love to find one and I'd eat humble pie if I could but my world is not depending on it.Oh that silver coming out of the ground after a hundred years is beyond words. I've had this luck lots of times over the years and I hope see some more of the same. Like said It's Not Over Until It's Over.

So when in heat get in the shade!

Chuck

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Many moons ago I could take the heat 8 hours or more coin hunting. Today is a different story being older and yet so tender. I sit around taking a trip down memory lane on these hot days that hit around a 100. I love nugget hunting but coin hunting has paid off over and over again for me. I started out back in 65 when everything was coming up silver. To find a silver half dollar was a common thing and a silver dollar now and then. I've found lots of coins but yet to find a gold one. Don't get me wrong I'd love to find one and I'd eat humble pie if I could but my world is not depending on it.Oh that silver coming out of the ground after a hundred years is beyond words. I've had this luck lots of times over the years and I hope see some more of the same. Like said It's Not Over Until It's Over.

So when in heat get in the shade!

Chuck

That would have been so much fun to hunt back in the day when metal detectors were a new thing.  I can't even imagine.....:smile:

• Like 3

For a number of years I knew I was the first to hunt that ground I was on. You with a detector in your hand was a oddity. Everybody who came around wanted to know what you were doing. Some showed interest and others thought you had fell out of your tree. When I first started out I don't think I never when by a weekend not out there swinging my detector and anytime I could during the week.

So many ask about the cost of a detector. The main thing I'd tell them you may have to buy the first one but with the money you find will pay for the next one. They too ask how much one could find a year. My answer was if you get out and hunt you can find 6 hundred to a thousand a year. At one time I did keep up with how much I found but not anymore.

The first store bought detector was a White's BFO and it had three tubes in it. It sounded like a motor boat until you got over a coin and then it kick into high gear with the sound you heard. Then you had to dig everything but I do believe I found more rings then.

To step back in the past has been all good for me.

Chuck 

• Like 3

Chuck you got my interest up. I have not worked on tube circuits for almost 40 years. That detector must have weighed 10 pounds. What kind of battery did it use. I am going to have to do some research and try to find a schematic. Thanks for the story Chuck.

Mike

Mike

I think one of the batteries was around 45 volts to push the tubes but I just don't remember what the other was. Steve I think had one too and maybe he can fill in the void I can't.

I do know it was a company that put kits out back then called Heath Kits. They had all kind of electronics you could get in a kit. I got one from Houston Texas that put out kits too.It was less than worthless. I was running around to Army surplus stores looking for detectors and I did find them. The trouble was they couldn't get me the batteries to run it.

Chuck 

Mike 

You have got to remember when I tell you something it could be back over fifty years ago. I don't think Heath Kit is around anymore. The only way to find out anything on a old BFO is like I have and it was in a trash pile at a flea market.

If I do run across one I'll pick it up for you. I'm not one to go back in time with old equipment. Every time something new comes out over the years it's been better for the coin hunter and for the nugget hunter now.   

Chuck

5 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I don't think Heath Kit is around anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit

"Heathkit manufactured electronic kits from 1947 until 1992."

But for some of us (including me), 25 years ago seems like yesterday.  :sad:

Chuck, I am almost 65. I have been working in electronics for almost 50 years. I still love tinkering with old electronics. Heathkit is long gone. I used to build many of their kits. You can still find some built kits on ebay. If you find an unbuilt kit, it goes for a premium.

Heck Guys you still got baby fat.Haha This past May I turn 76 and my mother in Nov. will hit 95 and still going strong. I took her out this Friday to shop and I'm the one that had to sit down.I would say haha but it's not funny.

Chuck

• Haha 1