Koss Headphones

mn90403

I like the minelab furnished koss-phones but they don't seal around the ear. My gold Pros are very good and comfy for when I wear headphones-mostly at the beach...my ear-buds are great when I don't want to notify the world that I am getting targets;and when I am close to others 'cause the dual speakers are bothersome...

Mostly I use the dual speakers and JP's amp...best thing since hot bread and butter!

fred

What are the two speakers you use Fred?

Quality of equipment does matter but how much?  

The other day a friend of mine said he had just listened to a $150,000 stereo system installed at a house somewhere here is Los Angeles.  I said that is great, I only have $10,000 ears!

How much 'quality' do we need vs 'quantity' when it comes to a metal detector's audio response?

Swung away from headphones to either the WM12 speaker and sometimes JPs booster & speaker, probably.... no make that definitely missing gold but no headphones is tops for me. But will definitely check and if needed take up Koss`s offer, thank you for the heads up MN. 

Mitchel; I use the speakers that come with Jp's amp...before that I used Montana Bob's dual speakers, which I still have...

The one problem with having the wm, enhancer and two speakers is that the 7000 picks them up and you can get some kind of feed-back on the set-up.

fred

Mike Hillis recommended the White's ProStars ($79 from White's and their brick-and-mortar dealers if the sale is still in effect; $69 with free shipping from some Ebay dealers).   Since I have lots of headphones that hurt my head/ears I decided to wait until I could try them on.  When in Colorado earlier this month I got my chance, at Gold-N-Detectors in Golden.  Bill there (who knows a ton) reminded me of the rules for buying headphones:

1) make sure they fit and are comfortable.

2) after that, make sure they sound good with your detector.

3) after that, see item 1 above.

So I bought the Prostars, and so far so good.  (Thanks, Mike.)  I still prefer ear buds (recommended by Steve) for quiet locations.  I have a used set of UR-30's, but besides them being too loose (weird because most headphones are to tight for me), they don't have adjustable volume controls.  There has to be a Goldilocks criterion met for headphones:  not too loose, not too tight, just right!  You can't find that unless you try them on.  Kinda like shoes.

• Like 1

One way to make the UR-30s fit a little better is to wear them over some kind of hat or cap.  I do that often and will take my WM12 or 10 and hang that from the cap as well.  You can roll up the cord and attach or not to headphones.  This lets you have a 'headset' with or without headphones.  The distance to the coils is greatest this way.

Mitchel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I got  back from Rye Patch I had my Koss box. 

I opened it and they looked like the same headphones!  What?  In the past I had two new headphones if that is what I sent them.  This time I had mine back?  Well, I read the note inside and they reconditioned the old ones.  One says Minelab and the other just says Koss UR-30s.

I'm ok with new pads, cords and speakers.  The scuff marks on the outside don't bother me.

The new policy must be to repair rather than replace.

Mitchel