Minelab Equinox Multi-IQ And Search Modes

minelab-equinox-800-waterproof-metal-detector-multi-iq-multifrequency.jpg

A couple tidbits from the long thread at http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,131291,page=11

From Minelab ad copy posted on thread...

What are the advantages of Multi-IQ? Due to the way Multi-IQ synchronizes signals across multi-frequencies, according to ground conditions, there are three main advantages. A. Increased target id accuracy. B. Reduced noise levels for all ground types C. Faster recovery speed. The Multi-IQ signal is also individually matched to the four EQUINOX Detecting Modes (Park, Field, Beach, & Gold) giving optimum performance across all target types in specific ground locations.

How is Multi-IQ different from BBS/FBS? Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS or FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more  sensitive to high-frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low-frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processor(s) and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS or FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/BFS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high-conductive silver coins in all conditions.”

And comment later on by Brandon Neice (Dr. Tones):

”The Equinox uses different sets of multiple frequencies in each mode. The "parks" mode is on the lower end of the spectrum and is intended for deeper coin hunting like we would have in the US parks, sports fields etc. The "Fields" mode uses frequencies that are more geared towards the UK/European hunting style in that it's more sensitive to smaller bits i.e. cut hammered, 1/4 staters etc. Beach mode will only operate in Multi frequency and is tailored to suit highly mineralized ground conditions. Prospecting opperates on 20 or 40 kHz and is designed to hit small gold at a reasonable depth in highly mineralized ground. Keep in mind, these modes are still being tweaked and there might be some minor modifications made to improve performance. I think what a lot of people aren't focusing on, is that Multi-IQ is handles mineralized ground better than FBS/BBS. This is why I believe my Equinox is achieving better depth in my hunting areas than my CTX. We all tend to get very hung up on lower frequencies being deeper but that's only half of the equation. How the frequencies are delivered/received plays an equally important roll to how they react with targets in the ground. For example, a 5kHz frequency delivered in Multi-IQ might penetrate mineralized ground better than a 3kHz frequency in FBS. Just like an atom bomb detonated in air would be more catastrophic than the same bomb detonated on the ground. Delivery is key. The Nox is just a whole new category and I know we want to do what's natural and compare it to what we know, but the fact is, we can't... because it's just different. 
DISCLAIMER- I'm not an engineer and these examples are how I've interpreted my experience. Again... To reiterate, I'm not sure why I'm getting the current results that I am. This is my speculation and as I have stated, I'm a fireman, not an engineer and in time, Minelab will release details on the functionality of Multi-IQ. Until then, it's anyone's guess (including my own).”

minelab-equinox-800-600-comparison.jpg

• Like 1

Fascinating! Thanks Steve!  Being from the same "region" as Brandon, his comments about the Equinox's (not sure I'm on board with the "Nox" nickname yet ;)) performance in mineralized ground perks my ears.  I had a feeling the Multi-IQ would have more opportunity to improve on the lower conductuve targets when matched against an FBS, and tough to improve on the FBS tech for silver... but as Brandon stated.. add mineralized ground into the equation..  this may be the answer to the question many if us have been asking for quite some time related to hunting in highly mineralized ground without losing significant depth and id accuracy..  Great information to consider.  Tim

Equinox does not lend itself well to cute nicknames. Nox sounds like noxious! I am just going with E600 and E800.

I hunt mineralized ground and everything in the post above is music to my ears. I have to admit that while I find “under the hood” discussions fascinating all that really matters is how the detector acts and performs in the field.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Equinox does not lend itself well to cute nicknames. Nox sounds like noxious! I am just going with E600 and E800.

I hunt mineralized ground and everything in the post above is music to my ears.

Exactly!!  Haha.  E800.. I like it!  

I know myself if I buy a Equinox it will be the E 800. Right now all I want to know is the big question and that's when will it hit the market so I can buy one.

I need to move something before I buy another detector but it's not going to be a detector.  The first thing to go will be the money in my piggy back and then a gun maybe.

A detector in the price range of the Equinox the correct term is what's under the hood.

A detector in the price range of the GPZ 7000 the correct term is what's under the bonnet.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Chuck

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I know myself if I buy a Equinox it will be the E 800. Right now all I want to know is the big question and that's when will it hit the market so I can buy one.

I need to move something before I buy another detector but it's not going to be a detector.  The first thing to go will be the money in my piggy back and then a gun maybe.

A detector in the price range of the Equinox the correct term is what's under the hood.

A detector in the price range of the GPZ 7000 the correct term is what's under the bonnet.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Chuck

You should mean, what's in the boot.

I’m going to call mine the Minelab Equalizer 800.

Has a definate ring to it, just like a Sovereign, Excalibur, Explorer, Musketeer.

CTX, SDC, GPZ, E-trac, X-terra. We need real names for our weapons of choice.

What I was thinking about was more that if the Equinox has the superior technology. How would Minelab justify in selling the Safari for $999, E-Track for $1549 and the CTX for $2499. All the marketing hype for the Equinox sounds good. I just feel I am missing something. Theoretically, you pay more money for a superior machine. With the Multi-IQ, marketing makes it sound like the Safari, E-Track and CTX are old technology.