Early Minelab - Original Eldorado

ophirboy

One of my early vlf prospecting detectors , it's a minelab but I can't find any history on the unit . It was one of the first units to offer a high and low mineralisation switch and a ten turn GB but not much else , it was converted to hip mount hence the fox like plug where the handle would normally be , there's no information on it on the Minelab site. So if any body remembers it they might be able to fill in the gaps on specs etc.

IMG_0529.JPG

• Like 1

What a classic! In good nick too by the looks. Never used one, Ophirboy, but I remember them in the shops in the 1980's. The premier model at the time was the Minelab Goldseekers 15000 (succeeded by the GT 16000) and your Eldorado Mk 1 was succeeded by the better known Mk 2.

I have an old ad from 1989 that still had them listed as run-out specials for $340 AUD. The 15000 (also run-out) for $650 AUD and the GT 16000 (which had been replaced by the FT 16000) for - - - Well you had to ring Miners Den to find that out  :biggrin:

Thanks JR , I can remember the up market red model but not much mentioned on this one . Interestingly minelab address is listed as 36 George st Sydney.. I do  remember the mark 2 it was the first model to resemble the later underslung models like the eureka.

They're the exact 4 controls I'd want on a v2 SDC2300 :ohmy: ....and maybe tone as well.

I think the Eldorado's were about 8 kHz, same as the Goldseekers. 

You can still download the Goldseekers manual here: http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4108/Inst Manual Goldseeker 15000 Website.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks guys .it was an oldie but a goodie . Simple to use and lightweight with minimal controls . The mineralisation control seemed to be a simple 50% ~100% sensitivity switch. There was another detector around at the time called an A1 prospector that had a similar sensitivity switch but included an analogue signal strength meter similar in size to the Garrett  A2b groundhog.