Hello Steve I have a? I bought a gmt a 2008 e series from a brian that was at gains creek when you found a big nugget with a Mxt . I have an mxt 300 the gmt I got from him seems weak or not ad great as my mxt can you help it's an old gmt 2008 e series is there a way I can make it better. the brian from amds aka akmining he know you I want it to be better than my mxt

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by “weak”? The White’s GMT And White’s MXT are different detectors and so each does have weakness compared to the other. In general the GMT is more sensitive to tiny objects. The MXT is a little better on high conductive (coins) and large targets. I have an article on the differences here.

If you think the detector is defective then it can go back to White’s for a checkup. Other than that detectors just are what they are - the only way in general to modify performance is to use different coils. Small coils are more sensitive to small items but get less depth on large items. Small coils separate targets better and work well in dense trash. Large coils get better depth on larger targets and cover more ground, but are not as sensitive to small items and are troublesome in dense trash.

83728FBD-4ED5-4B4F-A2E9-82E661DC1096.jpeg
White's GMT metal detector

FA71A8F2-145F-4A44-9F7A-2D4DD9028630.jpeg
White's MXT metal detector

Hey Mose.. come in and get the DVD and instructions, it'll help you out...  you left them here on my desk.  If you think it seems "weak" then just change the batteries, I don't know how old the batteries are but there's nothing wrong with the machine.

Brian

On 10/4/2017 at 11:45 AM, Sourdoughmoe said:

Thanks Steve I think I got it my mxt won't pick up a tiny pice of foil but my gmt does

That is it in a nutshell. Tiny pieces of aluminum foil show the difference clearly.

Most metal detecters including the GMT and MXT use regulated power supplies. They always supply the optimum power right up until the detector won’t function due to low battery power. There are a very few detectors out there, like the White’s TDI, That have unregulated power supplies. These detectors can actually get less powerful when the batteries run down, but detectors like that are very rare.

White’s GMT Owners Manual

Here is the first of the six part GMT video series - same as the DVD....

Moe, a quick test, depending on the coil your MXT came with when you max out the Gain it should be able to see your hand at around 4 to 6 inches in the prospecting mode, you will hear it go from the zip zip sound right down to a waver in the threshold,

hope that helps,

John.

1 minute ago, Sourdoughmoe said:

my mxt is good my gmt dosent seem to get depth

Apologies, I misread your post, the GMT is a hot machine on tiny targets,

If you have the 6x10 on your MXT or the 4x6 shooter they are not very hot coils and the 5.3 is much hotter and it will see tiny bits when you crank it up,

If you are air testing your GMT and MXT make sure you have the GB locked, and on normal coin sized targets the MXT will get them a bit further than the GMT when fitted with the 6x10 coils,

John.