The Reg Wilson Gold Album

JR

Thank you for the posting.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

Mitchel: Thank you for the topic offer and your encouragement for the idea of reposting the album here on Steves forum. I'll post more soon!

JR

The big coils from an earlier time, the old Datsuns you might even say a generation ago but some of you are still out there finding the big chunks.  When do you think Reg first started finding gold?  Who was his mentor?

When did you find your first nugget?

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

Thanks JR for the pics and your words in the other thread regarding my triumph over cancer. And speaking of triumph it was that photo of Reg with that nugget in the GG & T magazine that inspired me with my 1st detector the GT16000 which if I am correct was the same detector that located that particular nugget. 

• Like 1

Mitchel:

I'll get Reg to answer the first part of your question. He's currently at the Laanecoorie gold bash in central Victoria, and when I phoned him last night he was having  a glass (or two) of his famous home brew single malt whisky with Howard, the QED detector inventor :biggrin:

My first find? I started gold detecting comparatively late. I used to chase old coins with a Whites 5000D in the 70's. Like Goldenoldie, it wasn't until I saw that iconic image of Reg and his dog chomping on the "Roughie"  (featuring in an ad for a Minelab GT 16000)  that I bought one in Wedderburn from the late Barrie Johnson.

I had met John Hider Smith earlier and he allowed me to detect on one of his Miners Right Claim's in the Beggary Hills. Little did I know that he and Ian had already combed it with those strange looking Goldseeker 15000's with the roughly made big coils (It wasn't till much later that I discovered they were SD proto's and could penetrate almost twice as deep as any then current detector)

I remember I fired up my new machine and within minutes had a signal which turned out to be a pretty 1 oz colour. I still have it:

1054073485_ozpiece.thumb.jpg.426fb9238f6fc753a97fbb27073915ea.jpg

Later on, when I excitedly showed them what I had found, the look on John and Ian's faces was priceless - - - :laugh:

More soon  - - -

• Like 4

Colours from Poseidon. Shed from the Woolshed Reef. Notice all the bits had a distinctive perforated appearance.

24gkdw4.jpg.b534145740175005933e5ea4170f8c8c.jpg

The late Roy Harris with a 14 oz piece detected by the Beagle Boys from Roy's property at Poseidon. Roy kept this piece as his share of the gold recovered:

2z6se9e.jpg.b06a6095f1a963eda50a6196b4462fba.jpg

60 odd ozs from John Condins paddock, Wehla, detected by Ian and Reg:

1znbrcl.jpg.7a27e396d81198de6727bdd92623d7bd.jpg

John Condin looking happy, as Ian and Reg paid him 20% of the 60 oz recovered from his property

1tknyx.jpg.6fb05cae0d26692202d5d6aa3e107756.jpg

Condin paddock gold. Reg said: "Ian with some of the better slugs that we found with our brand new SD2000's on the first day we used them. Between the two of us we pulled over 60 ozs in 2 days. What a way to break in our machines!"

22b3fa.jpg.060351b35b158fa4789ee64fbc0231e3.jpg

John Condins wife Lynne with some of the gold:

img250a.thumb.jpg.c289ea6237643797780e088e88bb6645.jpg

• Like 6