• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.

Well this thread has successfully caused me to have to go out and purchase a personal AED machine....

thanks:tongue:aed.jpg.9198a2f7723ddba75b5ee2463ad22ac8.jpg

• Haha 2

You're welcome Paul. Posting all this gold has got me itching to get back to Victoria - but alas -  too busy atm.

"Rattlesnake John" :

90699i.jpg

Garibaldi gold. The larger piece (held by Ian earlier) bears a scar which Reg assures me was already present when the piece was unearthed:

6ogzmf.jpg

Detail of 20 oz nugget from Stirling Rush:

zxtw.jpg

Dunolly gold. 27 oz, 21.5 oz 2 X 9 oz, 14 oz, 7 oz, 3 oz.  Sep/Oct 1989

dms4t3.jpg

27 oz clean gold from Clay gully Dunolly (detail of above)

nqqkxx.jpg

• Like 9

I went thru this post no less then 5 times and I can’t help but think about all gold that wasn’t photographed.  The gold here is amazing.  Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Swegin said:

I went thru this post no less then 5 times and I can’t help but think about all gold that wasn’t photographed. 

Thanks Swegin. I often wonder what would be the percentage of extra gold found with detectors when compared to the "Gold Rush" total?

My rough uneducated guess would be about 10%. Does any one else have any ideas?

20 hours ago, goldwright said:

I just love that last 27 oz piece, nothing beats a natural water worn nugget and when 20+ozs even better.

Yes indeed Goldwright, and a 44 ozer looks OK too.  :wink:

This is a closer look at the one held by Ian and Reg earlier. Nov 89:

34pcfn5.jpg

Ian looks pleased with this handful:

2vrtrt2.jpg

As a diversion, some of our US friends may not be aware that 31st President Herbert Hoover once lived in Australia.

As a brilliant young mining engineer (working for the British firm Berwick Moreing) he was employed as manager of the "Sons of Gwalia" mine in remote WA, near Leonora in 1897. He was only in his early twenties at the time. This mine has had a very long life.

More on Hoover in Australia here: http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2012/07/04/which-united-states-president-dug-for-australian-gold/

Managers house. Gwalia.  Now a museum. Photos by Reg, mid 90's:

2a7bifk.jpg

Original poppet head designed by Hoover. Gwalia Museum:

2cyslyc.jpg

Gwalia open cut (now worked via a decline at the bottom)

1zmypog.jpg

About 50 oz from the "Orange Roughie" paddock Rokewood:

2z5q0ow.jpg

The machine that found it. Minelab GT 16000 prototype. (Photo: Sun Herald):

do3txw.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just awesome James. Eye candy from the god's. Love it :wub:. Thanks once again.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Haha 1

Thanks JR for the great photos. Do you have any photos of your WA trips with Reg  and the boys back in the 90s. The photo of Pieter and you in the other thread looks like the country north of Laverton. Am I close?

Thanks MB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malleeboy said:

Thanks JR for the great photos. Do you have any photos of your WA trips with Reg and the boys back in the 90s. The photo of Pieter and you in the other thread looks like the country north of Laverton. Am I close?

Thanks MB.

Hi MB:  You know, I'm not certain exactly where that image was taken, except to say that it was nearer Leonora than Laverton.

Reg with his more photographic (no pun, etc) memory may know better :

2epiyz5.jpg

There were a few other images that Reg took, but I was videotaping back then and I'm buggered if I can find the tapes now :sad:

John, Ritchie Wilton and Reg with gold. They were working separately as a team. Jim Stewart and I were working separately but we often combined forces, being old mates:

ked7b9.jpg

Reg with 6 oz specimen. WA  I'll get into trouble for posting this image because I know he hates it! It's okay Reg, we all look like crap anyway these days! :laugh:

2zojeyo.jpg

6 oz specimen and small gold from the area:

2hpsllv.jpg

Many more images from that trip but more general interest than gold specific -

• Like 2