A Couple Of Questions To GM1000 Owners / Users

D&P-OR

Isn't there supposed to be an owners manual that comes with this detector besides that little "Getting Started Guide"?------How long does that rechargeable battery pack run on the GM1000 with a full charge & under "normal" hunting conditions?------How long does it take the battery pack to charge (AC plug in charger) when the battery is flat?-------Didn't see any info in that starting guide in regard to this.------I wish they would have made the shafts longer! LOL (I'm kiddin)-------I'm about 5'9" and I got plenty hanging off the back when adjusted for me.------So far, what little I have tested it, I'm really liking the detector although I haven't even had it on a hunt yet.-----If you've got any advice for me on this detector--I'm all ears!-------I've been reading up on what I can find on it.--------Thanks----------Del 

• The title was changed to A Couple Of Questions To GM1000 Owners / Users

No, the getting started guide is it. There is probably more information about the Gold Monster 1000 on this website than any other however so clicking on the Gold Monster tag for this thread will give many hours of reading.

You should get about 20 hours from the rechargeable battery. I have never done a full run test to find out however - I just charge it up every couple days of operation. The battery takes a few hours to charge but again I have not tried to time it. Keep the AA pack loaded and ready just in case and you really don't have to worry about it.

My main advice? The GM1000 is designed to run quiet and has excess sensitivity designed into it. That means that running at full sensitivity at all times as can be done with many detectors is simply not an option. If in manual lower sensitivity until the machine runs quiet. I do not think running as low as 4 or 5 should be considered unusual. The lowest I ever had to go was a setting of 3 on some wet salt ground, and yes, I did find a nugget doing just that. Run in Auto sensitivity when in doubt and in worst case scenarios turn the discrimination on to deal with the worst hot rocks. Main thing though is to not overdrive the sensitivity.

My GM1000 Methodology

And re: the shaft.  A cheap broomstick can be cut to your exact length requirements. Those little broomstick attachments work a treat.  I'm 6' 3" and the provided shaft was even too long for me.  Broomstick is a winner :wink: