Looking For Jewelry With The Super Pulse

Well my 8 x 14 coil came yesterday and I got to hunt at an old school yard where coal waste has been discarded for many decades. The coil seemed to run fairly good.

Noticed a few things:

Actual ground balance was a little higher (tad over 8) than with my other coils.

Increasing the delay didn't change the GB as much as my other coils.

It was obvious when the GB balance was off by the increased false audio reports.

I could actually run gain to 7, but past that the machine would false in this bad ground.  With the stock coil I usually settle with gain of 6.

Very good coverage.

Felt lighter than the 12" stock coil, but I believe the 12" is a deeper running coil, air test might be in order

I could actually pinpoint better (off the front end of the coil) than the stock coils. My holes were noticeably smaller due to better target location.

Plenty deep enough, I know some may laugh, but I dug beer beaver tails at 6" in this terrible ground.    But I was hunting for gold not coins.

Looking forward to my next chance after Nate passes by.

No gold jewelry found this time.

• Like 6

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Well my 8 x 14 coil came yesterday and I got to hunt at an old school yard where coal waste has been discarded for many decades. The coil seemed to run fairly good.

Noticed a few things:

Actual ground balance was a little higher (tad over 8) than with my other coils.

Increasing the delay didn't change the GB as much as my other coils.

It was obvious when the GB balance was off by the increased false audio reports.

I could actually run gain to 7, but past that the machine would false in this bad ground.  With the stock coil I usually settle with gain of 6.

Very good coverage.

Felt lighter than the 12" stock coil, but I believe the 12" is a deeper running coil, air test might be in order

I could actually pinpoint better (off the front end of the coil) than the stock coils. My holes were noticeably smaller due to better target location.

Plenty deep enough, I know some may laugh, but I dug beer beaver tails at 6" in this terrible ground.    But I was hunting for gold not coins.

Looking forward to my next chance after Nate passes by.

No gold jewelry found this time.

Short update is in order:

Careful study has indicated the depth of the 8 x 14 coil and the 7 1/2" dual field coil is about identical.  As stated above the coverage and pinpoint of targets is excellent.  But I caught myself swinging to fast not a good thing in bad ground.  Even though the larger coil gives better coverage I tend to prefer the smaller coil.  I can understand how a hunter can get in trouble with multiple targets under the coil at the same time.  I had this happen several times and can say it was a challenge to say the least. 

But I've wanted a true mono coil for several years and couldn't pass up the White's garage sale.  I often wonder if either the OZ 7 1/2 or 12" would be more to my liking.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2017 at 6:18 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

Short update is in order:

Careful study has indicated the depth of the 8 x 14 coil and the 7 1/2" dual field coil is about identical.  As stated above the coverage and pinpoint of targets is excellent.  But I caught myself swinging to fast not a good thing in bad ground.  Even though the larger coil gives better coverage I tend to prefer the smaller coil.  I can understand how a hunter can get in trouble with multiple targets under the coil at the same time.  I had this happen several times and can say it was a challenge to say the least. 

But I've wanted a true mono coil for several years and couldn't pass up the White's garage sale.  I often wonder if either the OZ 7 1/2 or 12" would be more to my liking.

From my own testing mono coils on the TDI tend to be more sensitive to smaller pieces. They can also be a little more finicky to ground balance due to the sensitivity. But a small mono is hard to beat in trashy areas or around large rocks and brush.

Glad you were able to get in on the garage sale, it was a big hit this year and I hope we will do it again next September.

• Like 3

I recently purchased a used TDI SL (here) that came with a White's Super Pulse 350 with similar dimensions. Is this the coil you're writing about? I've looked online for specs/details and haven't found much to tell me what it is. I gather it's a mono coil from the conversation, if it's the same one.  

How does it stack up against a Miner John folded mono of smaller size? I'm trying to learn as much as I can but it takes time to find relevant info online and each forum seems to have differences that get confusing jumping from one to another.

I am so very grateful for the wonderful forums like this one that has so much good information from so many good contributors. 

Thanks!

The Super Pulse 350 is a 8 x 14" mono coil.

Very good coverage and the depth is identical to the 7 1/2 dual scan coil from White's.  Much easier to pin point than the dual scan coils.

Never had any of the Miner John coils so I can't do any comparisons.  But I will say one thing, even though it is a large coil, it is super sensitive to small, low conductors.

• Like 1

Don't know if you guys have seen or remember this thread from 6 months ago.  A guy in Australia (karelian65 is his online name) did an extensive test of coils for the TDI.  That was done on a Pro ("OZ Series") but pretty sure it has value for other models.  I don't find the particlar coil you are discussing but it's still a great read.  NOTE:  there are two posts on that site's thread -- one for the small coils and another for large coils.

• Like 1

Always wanted to try one of the OZ or miner John coils on my TD

• 2 weeks later...

Did a few test runs with the 12" OZ and the miner John mono 5 x 9 coils today.

Amazing how these two coils acted compared to my 12 and 7 1/2 dual field coils.

First off the 12" OZ coil compared to the 12" dual field coil.

The OZ allowed a gain setting of max where the dual field usually required gain at 7 to be stable

OZ coil threshold hum is more steady even at gain of max.

Actual air test were identical on a US nickel.

Love the way I can pinpoint off the front with the OZ coil.

Dual field pinpoint is definitely more difficult  and requires a larger hole.

The OZ coil is lighter and easier to swing longer periods of time.

Now for my favorite, the Miner John 5 x 9" mono coil.

Far superior in the trash.

Seems to have a little more depth over the 7 1/2" dual field, but this could be due to higher gain settings.

The miner coil can also be pinpointed off the front edge, holes are a lot smaller and recovery time is quicker than other coils.

Case in point, I have several coins buried in my test garden of over 10 years.  These coins range up to 8" deep.  This might not seem super deep, but the red clay dirt of Virginia presents a whole set of issues for detectors to conquer.  I've not found a single VLF machine (White's V3i, XP Deus and CTX 3030 among many other machines loaned to me over the years) that can accurately ID the 8" nickel. 

But the TDI armed with either the 12" dual field or OZ and the miner john coil have no problem giving a very loud, repeatable audio on this 8" nickel.  The 7 1/2" struggles to give an audio every other sweep.

Thanks again Charles...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1