Metal Detector Set Off By Pinpointer

I do not understand why a pinpointer would affect the coil when it is off??? Is there a constant and therefore never actually off signal from the pinpointer?

Or, does the transmit on the coil induce a signal that the detector then recieves?

I never take my pack off and leave it anymore, "cause i ain't smart enough to pick it up before I wander over the next hill-much to my embaressment!

Thank you for your always complete and thoughtful replies

fred

Metal detectors like items with holes in the middle, because the eddy current runs in a circle like on a little racetrack. Metal detector search coils are specially designed to carry current in circles. The little coil winding in a pinpointer is accidentally one of the most detectable items you can lay hands on. It has nothing to do with it being on or off unfortunately.

I was using my pinpointer yesterday with my DFX and even with a VLF you need to be aware of this. I was running in all metal and the detector was signaling a bit on each left swing until I moved the pinpointer back on my belt.

I will have to design a hat with a pinpointer holder on the back and get big bucks on Shark Tank for my brilliant invention!

• Like 1

The Minelab PRO-Find 25 has been specifically designed to avoid the issue of 'ringing' when turned off so you can wear it on your belt when using the GPX 5000 and other deep punching PIs :)

JP

Hi Steve, I've used the PRO-FIND 25 a lot in the last couple of seasons, a very handy tool when your down over two feet!! :D 

Here's a Pic of Bob using the PRO-FIND 25 and the nice 13 ounce slug he retrieved a few moments later. (pictures used with permission)

BobPinpoint1_zps385ff1f9.jpg  Bob13ounce_zps2ffad253.jpg

• Like 1