Sign in to follow this  
vanursepaul

Tow Coils / Detector Sleds

Paul, I've messed about with sledding (tow coils) since the GT16000 came on the market, which made the concept a possibility because the detector could ground balance as you progressed over varying soil conditions. With the introduction of the 2200d it was possible to step up to pulse induction which meant more mineralised ground could be sledded than with VLF. Experimentation led to the conclusion that mono was the way to go as target response with a dd was way too slow. The best detector so far has been the GPX4000 for this type of detection, although I am yet to try the QED.

Trial and error has taught me that the best setup has been a coil on a section of rubber conveyor belt. It proves the old 'KISS' principle. Keep it simple stupid.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Reg,

I may have a go at building one to pull behind my Jimny... (as soon as I can get one :wink:)

The idea fascinates me... always has ... but i never had an open area to use one in.  Im coming to WA this spring so it might be something i could put in the trick bag...

First,

Could you share your results and if you think it was feasible in the right places.

And do you have any plans, or was this something you made on the go? Do you still have one?

How did you 'tune' the coil to the 4000?

I dont know if anyone else is interested in this or not.....

Paul, if you get the opportunity I would be happy to loan you my setup and show you the basics. It should be fine with any GPX. All you need is auto ground balance and a tow vehicle that won't interfere with the electronics. (diesel with alternator isolated) 

• Like 1

Are you kidding??? I would love to meet you and hear some stories---the sled would be a bonus--- !

I will be there sometime after the first of the year--I haven't figured out yet what route to take ---where to start and where to end it up????

I cant get a grip on the weather patterns there... If i come in January i need to figure out the most pleasant place to detect---if i can figure that out then maybe i can chart the course for this Aussie Adventure 2018!!!! :biggrin:

By the way, where are you located Reg?

Sorry to the rest of you I didnt mean to hijack this thread it is GREAT---but i cant miss this opportunity....:wink:

Hijack is fine Paul. I see it's now a separate thread anyway. Here's Reg's early model detecting sled again:

ibyxyf.jpg

He now uses a sheet of conveyer belting - much simpler! The streamers are thrown out when a signal is heard and followed up with a hand detector.

• Like 2

- -  plus you can have some juvenile fun when not detecting   :smile:

11j9jbp.jpg

• Like 1

Oh good god Paul on the loose with a 4 wheeler and detector sled i can already imagine the the various out comes both good and bad :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

January - hot. February - hot. March - getting better.  

WA, NT, SA and Queensland would be pretty unbearable during Jan, Feb (I think).  

Victoria has its moments.  Last summer was reasonably mild but still plenty of days mid 30's and a few in the 40's (Celsius obviously).  

Reg is in Victoria.  6 weeks in the famous Golden Triangle, a week in South Australia to drop in on minelab and Nenad and then 5 weeks in WA as the weather cools a little :biggrin:

You'd get to cross the Nullabor Plain and the longest dead straight section of road in Australia - 150 kms or thereabouts.  Most people find the drive to WA boring.  I've done it 3 times now - heaps to see if you go looking.  

Whatever you do, if you end up in Victoria it would be good to catch up and have a beer :wink:

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Saw where a gent had received one of these.
      http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/2222600_6halfx9_at_pro_searchcoil_en.aspx
      https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=254748
      Btw here is complete list of Garrett coils available for AT series detectors.
      http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_searchcoils_en.aspx
    • By hayesman76
      Now that I've got your attention ...
      One interesting alternative I've seen to traditional walkin' 'n swingin' metal detecting is called the Hot Foot Rug. I'm sure many reading this have heard of it. Basically, from the looks of it it's a search coil apparently embedded into a flexible, rectangular carpet-like piece of material measuring from 18" to 6'. The carpet must, of course, be attached to a box, which the user can keep by their side or clip to a belt.  The carpet itself can either be attached to a harness and pulled while walking or dragged behind a vehicle, enabling detectorists to cover a lot more ground -- and with less walking required -- than traditional "stick" detecting. The only thing that makes me not even consider buying one is what I consider to be the excessively-high price (then again, in my opinion MOST metal detectors and search coils are way overpriced.) 
      Especially when dragging the carpet behind a vehicle I would assume the user absolutely must use a good set of noise-canceling headphones.
      I'm very surprised that the device mentioned above is about the only one of its type I've seen for sale. In my opinion -- and especially with so many detectorists being middle-aged and/or retired folks who aren't as mobile as they used to be -- you'd think there'd be quite a variety of such carpet-like search coils available.
      Does anyone here prospect with such metal-detecting rugs? My main interest is in prospecting for large, deep nuggets and this technique -- especially with my bad knee -- really appeals to me, as the rug search coil can be several feet wide, which dwarfs even the largest traditional round/oval coils. Any feedback or information on such carpet-type detectors would be appreciated. 
    • By Supershaw
      Hi all
      I have a Macro Racer 2 .When I use the stock coil in salt water I have no issues ,it runs really smooth with no falsing,but when I change to the Mars 13 inch Discovery coil inch it runs very erratically and falsing....does any one else have this issue?
    • By Jin
      I was reading the Australian Electronic Gold Prospecting Forum today and noticed a post about detector depth. I was wondering what others think about today's detectors compared to what was available 25 years ago. I read somewhere that (Woody) the guy that does mods to detectors thinks that for outright depth the sd2000 still goes the deepest. I wouldn't know as I've never owned a sd2000 or a gpz7000. Anyway, i found the comments at AEGPF interesting and wonder if anyone here has actually done a depth comparison between the zed and sd2000. Heres the snippet from AEGPF 
      Quote from AEGPF: "The deepest Pi detector ever developed in my opinion was a prototype  SD2000  that BC modified for the late Jim Stewart.BC slowed down the clock speed to give a very long pulse and made some other unknown changes to the circuit to cope with higher currents etc. At the time the SD2000 came out BC stated that it was at about 95% of the maximum potential depth that any handheld PI could ever achieve (and still pass emission standards). However, the deepest PI that has ever been made for gold was Corybns detector which detected a  nugget of around 10oz? at 3 feet in depth in WA. Somewhere on the forum is a reference to it and I will try and find the link when I have time.
      "What is interesting is that the deepest nuggets ever detected by a Pi  was by a detector used in the early 1980's in WA-Corbyn's  wheeled detector! Pictures of it  and the depths of some of nuggets he found with it can be seen in Mike Wattones book: Quest for gold.NO Pi detector today could match the depths Corby got on at least one nugget! (4cm nugget at over 36" in mineralized ground)"
    • By mn90403
      What is the biggest coil that you have used?  I have an 18" Nugget Finder that works very good.  I don't need a sled.  It is light.
      The 19" Z coil is a beast.  Many of us know what it takes to wield that monster over good ground.
      Reg's Gold Album thread has several pictures of prototype coils that were very big.

Here is a picture I found on Bill and Linda's site for John Bowles.  http://www.billandlindaprospecting.com/johnbowles.html  

What are some of the other ways to use and mount coils?