Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Amazon #1 Bestseller In Metal Detectors

It changes constantly but right now that would be the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector

Only $91 and actually pretty highly rated. We always tend to obsess over power on the forums but sometimes it is good to realize the bulk of the market is made up of people with fewer ambitions than most of us. I assume a lot of these are just something to put in a box as a gift for a child.

Before people laugh and say this is a toy, the fact is the Tracker IV completely blows away my very first detector (1972 White’s Coinmaster 4) for power and features and about a third of what I paid decades ago. 

3BB453BC-7957-42D0-95CC-E8F0C530B7F4.jpeg

• Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
  • Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
  • Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
  • Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
  • Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
  • Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
  • Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
  • Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
  • Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging

B8C0F4AE-86AF-41DF-8D88-E91E5E6EEDFA.jpeg40EEA7A0-FCF2-45CE-B66E-2A1A033D90A5.jpeg

• Like 3

Now if the people who buy that detector had some Proper training in regards to detector and target recovery etiquette .......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first detector was a White's Alaskan TR chest mount... It came with 2 coils... I forget what I paid for it ..

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/gm_alaskan_disc._instruction_manual.pdf?lang=us

53 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

White's Alaskan TR chest mount

Believe it or not I still have one of those - with two coils! I will post pictures one of these days. I have actually been meaning on taking it out for a spin. It is not my original but one I picked up courtesy of my old White's rep, Mary Gladding.

• Like 1

Ha ha.....I have a Tracker IV. Was the 2nd detector I ever got, & the first one brand new. Still got it. Found me many items on the beaches. I actually got the tiny little "gold" coil for it but have never used it for gold. Only gold rings on the beaches. :biggrin:

JW :smile:

The Tracker IV was my first metal detector.    I still like it.    Sometimes a low gain unit is very helpful.

Mine found this ring earlier in the year.

Mike

TIVGOLDRINGe.jpg

• Like 5

I have to give props to the Bounty Hunter... the Discovery 2200 was purchased for my son as a gift, and it got me hooked on detecting.  We found some nice targets with that "beginners' detector.  :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      There is finally a page on White’s website dedicated to the new MX7 https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/mx7/?lang=us
      And a new video with Steve Howard showing the various MX7 settings options.

• By Ridge Runner
      Tom from White’s made a statement that the  color of the MX 7 had to do with the day it would hit the market.
      All know that we see orange everywhere on Halloween. Now with that said will it hold true on the hint that Tom drop.
      Maybe it could be what Halloween is all about and that’s Trick or Treat.
      Intil tomorrow when we’ll all know.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Availability mid-November. MSRP $599.95 (MAP $549.90)
      White's MX7 Owner's Manual
      13.8 kHz, 3.6 lbs, 9.5" concentric coil (compatible with existing MX Sport coils). Six preset programs (Coin and Jewelry, All-Metal, Beach, Prospecting, Relic, and High Trash) and easy-to-access Threshold, Gain, Ground Balance, and Pinpoint modes. Pressing the Options button accesses more controls, with user-adjustable Volume, Threshold, Depth Units, Backlight Level, Frequency Shift, Salt Track, Program, Self-Adjusting Threshold, Iron Grunt, VCO, Reject Volume, and Discrimination Mask. IP 54 rated - dust and water-resistant.
      Images - click or double-click for larger versions...

• By Tnsharpshooter
      The following is a compilation from my Rutus testing and useage.
      Very long, but anyone wanting some info, this here may help folks.
      Btw to my knowledge currently no dealers for this detector line in USA.
      They can be purchased from abroad.
      The Rutus Alter 71 may not be very well known, but make no mistake a very good detector for what they cost.
      There is some comparison info too with other detector models.
      Enjoy
      Overall weight and feel of unit is IMO nice,,not heavy feeling.
      Both coils.
      Btw. Concentric measures 8.125" outside to outside diameter.
      Supposed 11" dd measures 11".
      I even with little time I have run this unit,,this unit designed to be a Deus killer for the $$$.  Question is, is it??
      Using concentric coil user likely not to dig steel bottle caps, hodograph paints a good pic of junk target,,a backwards C in the meter. Haven't tried DD coil yet to see what happens here.
      Depth is dependent on mask setting,,meaning for fringe depth the lower the better.
      Interesting how they gave a user options here to have their targets ID in the meter.
      Three choices real-- ID is directly reflective of frequency run and conductivity of target.
      Then 2 other options,,you can select either 6khz or 12khz for target ID normalization.
      So with saying all this here is some data using each of the above selections for target ID.
      I should say the Rutus uses a different scale when comparing to most other detectors-- 0-120.
      Some data
      Real ID option selected and frequency selected on detector at max 18.4khz
      Nickel....79
      Clad dime..110
      Zincoln penny..103
      Copper penny..110
      Clad quarter..114
      Normalized setting of 6khz selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
      Nickel..52
      Clad dime..94
      Zincoln penny..80
      Copper penny..94
      Clad quarter..105
      Normalized setting of 12kh selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
      Nickel..66
      Clad dime..105
      Zincoln penny..95
      Copper penny..105
      Clad quarter..112
      Frequency changed on detector to 7khz,,real ID option selected
      Nickel..55
      Clad dime..99
      Zincoln penny..86
      Copper penny..99
      Clad quarter..107
      Frequency still at 7khz,,6khz normalization selected
      Nickle..54
      Clad dime..98
      zincoln penny..85
      Copper penny..98
      Clad quarter..107
      Frequency still at 7khz,,12 khz normalization selected
      Nickel..68
      Clad dime..108
      zincoln penny..99
      Copper penny..107
      Clad quarter..112
      Preliminary test using 3D test with coin and nails,,detector seems above average with what I see,,,Deus like results,,,not giving either detector yet no advantage,,with time maybe.
      Audio,,,Rutus audio not as smooth as Xp Deus,,not as blendy sounding,,leans more toward what I call beeps.  This is not meant to say Rutus audio is terrible or anything.
      I am still trying to nail down how I want my tones set up using the user programs,,,not there yet.
      Does take time though,,user must select each number TID wise and singularly adjust,,,no blocking of groups of tones to adjust.
      I do reserve the right here to correct anything I say about this detector in the future.
      From what I can tell right now,,Rutus will retain settings when turned off.
      Turn back on,,user will need to ground balance though.
      Also what ever you have selected,,this is where the cursor will be when you go back in and open menu-- not sure if this happens if you turn detector off though.
      Now,,here is where other manufacturers like White's should be paying attention,,Xp as well.
      I have read countless Internet forum threads and post associated with just when does the White's V3i and even the Vx3 model need to be ground balanced.
      Rutus depending on what you change setting wise will give you ground balance prompt.
      This is exactly what White's should have done on the 2 models I mention here.
      Xp Deus,,you change freqs,,ground balance doesn't carry over,,should be a prompt..
      Now detector companies,,if they do this for future models,,,they could offer a way to override the prompt,,so it doesn't appear in screen.  This might be more handy for someone say who is more experience with the detector in question.
      Emi,,this detector ranks right up there as being one of the quietest I have run for Vlf,,,even runs as quiet IMO as CTX and etrac,,and DST Fisher units.
      Now this from judging in 2 different places with loads of light wires,,and a few transformers.
      I should also say,,this concentric coil I received with Rutus is the very first one I have ever owned,,I did run a gents White's XLT with concentric some 6 years ago for around 15 minutes.
      Navigating around using Rutus is different,,but not hard,,just gotta get used to it.
      Unit seems to ground balance nicely here in my soil.  
      More to come.

• By Ridge Runner
      White's applied for a trademark called XVENTURE. I don't know just what it's all about. .MD-Hunter had it on their site. Talk was maybe something new in metal detectors from White's for 2016.
        The odd thing is when I went back to take another look it was gone.
      ????????
       Chuck
    • By tboykin
      Is it ok if I make a new thread about the White's DR-PRO? If not please delete. Figured people might want to discuss this new product from White's Electronics.
      Will be releasing the announce video at 1pm PST today (just got approval to do so). I'll post a link then for all to see.