• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Amazon #1 Bestseller In Metal Detectors

It changes constantly but right now that would be the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector

Only $91 and actually pretty highly rated. We always tend to obsess over power on the forums but sometimes it is good to realize the bulk of the market is made up of people with fewer ambitions than most of us. I assume a lot of these are just something to put in a box as a gift for a child.

Before people laugh and say this is a toy, the fact is the Tracker IV completely blows away my very first detector (1972 White’s Coinmaster 4) for power and features and about a third of what I paid decades ago. 

3BB453BC-7957-42D0-95CC-E8F0C530B7F4.jpeg

• Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
  • Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
  • Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
  • Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
  • Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
  • Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
  • Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
  • Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
  • Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging

B8C0F4AE-86AF-41DF-8D88-E91E5E6EEDFA.jpeg40EEA7A0-FCF2-45CE-B66E-2A1A033D90A5.jpeg

• Like 3

Now if the people who buy that detector had some Proper training in regards to detector and target recovery etiquette .......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first detector was a White's Alaskan TR chest mount... It came with 2 coils... I forget what I paid for it ..

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/gm_alaskan_disc._instruction_manual.pdf?lang=us

53 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

White's Alaskan TR chest mount

Believe it or not I still have one of those - with two coils! I will post pictures one of these days. I have actually been meaning on taking it out for a spin. It is not my original but one I picked up courtesy of my old White's rep, Mary Gladding.

• Like 1

Ha ha.....I have a Tracker IV. Was the 2nd detector I ever got, & the first one brand new. Still got it. Found me many items on the beaches. I actually got the tiny little "gold" coil for it but have never used it for gold. Only gold rings on the beaches. :biggrin:

JW :smile:

The Tracker IV was my first metal detector.    I still like it.    Sometimes a low gain unit is very helpful.

Mine found this ring earlier in the year.

Mike

TIVGOLDRINGe.jpg

• Like 5

I have to give props to the Bounty Hunter... the Discovery 2200 was purchased for my son as a gift, and it got me hooked on detecting.  We found some nice targets with that "beginners' detector.  :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kenny
      Hi Steve, please I need your advise on the detetctor that I just ordered from China, Nugget 9.5inch, waterproof coil with 9.6khz. Its sold by Chinavasion. I actually ordered before getting to know about this site of yours and as someone with little or no knowledge about the detetctor, I go for something cheap and also with a reasonable depth. The depth of this machine is 3.5m. I am writing this because I could still cancel the order if I know it won't be functional. I also noticed yesterday that most of the detectors from US give 5yrs warranty while this one gave just 1yr warranty. Please kindly advise. Anybody else could give helpful hints. I will also like to know what the FREQUENCY rating means to a detetctor. Thanks
    • By Roughwater
      Just playing with the Detector today as I was curious as to how the 3 coils I have would do in the air.  The 3 coils I have are the 10X5 stock coil, the 8" round Minelab coil and the 15" Round Coiltek WOT coil.  All coils are DD.  There are no mono coils for the Eureka.  I used the same 3 targets for all 3 coils tested at all 3 Frequencies.   The Sensitivity set to max, Threshold 3/4, Disc in all metal, Signal set to Boost and Volume max.   I used 3 different coils and only 3 targets: a 36 gn. 22 cal bullet, a 115 gn 9mm bullet and a 1899 Indian head cent.
      Results are not exactly as I expected.  Used headphones for most of test but afraid phones may be interfering with WOT coil so took them off doing that test so with the low volume audio on that detector coupled with wind noise etc may have reduced slightly the depth of the Wot coil.  

10X5 stock coil               60 Khz                     20 Khz                           6.4 Khz   22 bullet:     7"           22 bullet:     9":              22 bullet     8" 9 Mil bullet:  8"           9 mm bullet 9"               9 m bullet   9" 1 cent:         9"           1 cent         11"             1 cent        11"   8" Round Coil (All coils are DD")   60Khz                       20 Khz                          6.4 Khz   22 bullet:    9"            22 bullet        10"            22 bullet     10" 9 mil bullet  9"            9 mm Bullet   10.5"        9mm bullet  10.5" 1 cent         10.5"       1 cent            10.5"        1 cent          13"   15" Round WOT coil   60 Khz                       20Khz                           6.4 Khz   22 bullet         9"         22 bullet        11"           22 bullet     11" 9 mm  Bullet   12"       9 MM bullet   12.5"        9 mm bullet 14"    1 cent             16"      1 cent           15"           1 cent         15.5"    

• By Ridge Runner
      On md-hunter its says that Garrett has added a ( i ) after each number. At first look without firing it up you can't see the difference. It's all in the new software in more ways than one  If you want to learn more I'll let you go look for yourself.
       The only dealings I've had with Garrett Ace was when I got the 200 for my Grandson. I was surprise to see what the Ace 200 had to offer for the money.
       More new for 2016.
       Chuck

• By Bavarian
      Hi Steve,
      I recently acquired a Fisher Goldstrike metal detector at a really good price. I know it's a older machine, what's your thoughts on the machine-good,bad or ugly. Is it a decent machine for gold,coins,relics or all the above. Also lastly please give me the strong points and the weak points of the machine, any information would be very helpful.
      Thank You Very Much,
      Keith
    • By nugget65
      got my eye on a Minelab Eureka Gold at a good price ($500)..The problem is I can't get any input on one...is this my first sign to look elsewhere???
      Any unbiased help would be appreciated thnx
    • By Mark Gillespie
      A guy found this detector in a wood pile at a local factory.  Looked like it had been there for years, weathered badly, shaft was broken and coil was busted.  As a challenge they gave it to me.  Two days later I installed batteries and low and behold it came on.  Couldn't find a manual so I went into experimental mode and can say I was impressed with the air test (for a China product). 
      To start with I thought it was a single tone machine, dime and nickel gave a high tone, but adjusting the ground balance and the discrimination revealed attributes that reminded me of the TDI.  Now a nickel gives a low tone and a dime remained a high tone.  
      Next I took the machine to my test garden of over 10 years and was shocked to hear a repeatable response of my deepest targets. 
      Please note, I’m not promoting China products, only indicating what I found.

There is one adjustment on the side that I’m wondering about not sure what it might be.
      Would also like information about this machine, the internet really doesn’t indicate when they were manufactured or much detail.