Steve Herschbach

Amazon #1 Bestseller In Metal Detectors

I imagine it would take a very large offer to get you to part with it now phrunt.  Interesting anecdote.

• Like 1

you've got me motivated to go out and get a photo of the old beast! 

• Like 1

Better yet,  give us a video demonstration of that antiquity in action!!!  :laugh:

We don't mind if you salt the sand box/ sandpit.

How deep will it find a $1 coin???

P.S.  In fact, start a "Minelab vs. Radio Shack" thread.  Now that would get a good chuckle.

• Haha 1

My new Gold Monster 0999 is here, well Orange Monster (RadioShack), close enough!, beams out on the pliers at a couple of inches, goes ok on the screwdriver bit at an inch, but fails on the small screw at an inch, only sounds if I touch it with the coil  Overall I give it a 7 out of 10, keep in mind this baby is from the early 80's.  The shaft is alloy, right down to the coil with a metal screw and wingnut holding it on.  Radioshack 80's technology.  It was purchased in Australia new in 1985 on a holiday there, but made its way here to New Zealand in my suitcase, perhaps the only one in the country.  I guess you could say then, I've been metal detecting since the mid 80's :biggrin:

It has tune and fine tune, you can even run it with a threshold, I should have put that in the video, but it just makes it noisy and you struggle to hear it picking up any targets with that on, the tone just changes when you pass over metal, but not very much.  If you get it running silent it works better, Minelab appear to have this Radioshack technology of silent running down pat with the v2, the Gold Monster 1000

See the video of it in action on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/lt1wKI5QJ1s

IMG_20180213_192833.thumb.jpg.9e34482f8fbab226df6f1a6667c2a13c.jpg

It appears there is one for sale on Amazon if anyone thinks it will suit their metal detecting needs, maybe my video testing results will encourage some beach hunters to invest. The Box picture indicates its a beach machine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GN2WNJ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

5a828f6b4f9b4_41FuvAJORL.jpg.3605ab3adf4f2ecf0d0e7b1d44c8abd9.jpg

• Haha 1

NICE!  I went to Youtube through the link, but for some reason the vid. didn't play.  It is nice to see its price is appreciating on the open market!!

video should work now, it had some issues processing

• Thanks 1

:biggrin: I demand a real world depth test before I invest!

• Haha 1

If it quacks like a duck...  :wink::tongue:

• Haha 1

Now I got the You Tube working.

Since it is a beach unit, it might be perfect for someone who can't wait until their Equinox arrives, but it would match up better with a Garret Carrot kit.

• Like 1