Headed To Rye Patch Tonight

mn90403

On 10/12/2017 at 12:26 AM, vanursepaul said:

Follow the ghost trails!!!!

be careful going in there those roads can change quickly if there has been any water running

Don't you remember I saw you flying to the Fox one time and you were going 3x too fast for the road.

Two days and two big crystals to show for it.  Not my idea of a good time so far.  I've got half day tomorrow and Sunday ...

• Like 1

Well ... I'm back!

The areas I hunted in Rye Patch were very hammered.

I did a lot of research before I went.  I identified some old push areas near where gold has been found for years.  There is a reason why there are no claims on property.  There was very little gold to start with and it didn't seem to have any that I and my friends could find.

There were others in our group of 50 that did find gold.  The largest nugget I saw was 4 grams and the same guy got a 3 grammer at 18 inches.  Everything else was smaller.  There was one unique piece that was a small fully faceted crystal with about .4g of gold around the bottom of it.  I don't have a picture.  I would like to have bought that piece.

About 1 PM on Saturday I actually put my friends on a spot that still had some little nuggets between all the dig holes.  I was using the 19 and one nugget my friend found could not be heard with the 19! (.1g)  I had to leave and still had the skunk.  It was time to set up for the dinner.  Things were late and I got in a relic trip where I found a copper nugget with my 3030.  Felt a little better but still a skunk in my book.

Sunday I went to the Eugenes and met a guy who showed us some places to hunt.  There were lode claims and nothing placer.  Still had a skunk.  By the time I got back to the Saturday patch there was only two hours of light left before I had to drive all night to get back home.  About 20 minutes after I got there I broke the skunk.  

The slight little sound was a .2 gram nugget with the 14.  Finally ... after several days and multiple trips I had a nugget! (Last year I had 5 nuggets on this outing for about 2 g.)  The group that followed a prolific leader who knows the area well found many nuggets.  My friends ended up with a couple each.  Everyone worked for them.  There are no easy nuggets on that side any more.

Mitchel

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The guy we met in the mountains had some stories about 80 year olds who are now dying off.  They found the Big Nuggets.  We heard about a 2 pounder so I guess that would be 24 ounces Troy or so over here.  JR has shown many nuggets in that category.

To tell you the truth I was expecting more.  When at a hammered spot the choice is to move quickly and find the missed nuggets around the bushes and plants or go painfully slow to get small and deep nuggets.  I was probably somewhere in between and could have gone slower to find those little things but then I could have missed a bigger, easier one!

It only got better after finding 1 nugget because I knew it would be even more painful to come back here with a skunk.

• Like 4

That’s a hard-won nugget Mitchel, you get an “A” for effort!!

• Like 1