Well for coin alit was media content was a bit ordinary, but i digress. Found this button has any one seen something similar thought it was solid but scored the back when i dug it up. Hit in the mid 60s on my machin thought it was 20 cents and then?

20170626_191628.jpg

20170626_191519.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Month Lagerphone!  What part of the world are you, some interesting coins in there! TIm.

No posts yet from our European members here.  I would think they are in better position to tell you what your button is, given its decoration.  To me it appears to be an ancient (possibly Roman) coin.  The key word is 'appears'.  Let's go from there into a little more detail.

1) Buttons typically are decorated on the outer face and either blank or with manufacturer ID on the inner face.  This is decorated on both.  That makes me think it wasn't initally meant to be button but was later converted to one.

2) For coins in modern circulation, made by governments, there is a law discouraging copying (counterfeiting).  If the government overseeing the coin's mintage either goes away or decides the coin is obsolete (and thus carries no value outside of intrinsic metal or collector value), you typically can get away with copying it.  That seems to happen with ancient (for example Greek and Roman Empire) coinage, as well as Far Eastern coins of antiquity.

So putting 1) and 2) together, my best guess is that your button was made from a replica of an ancient coin.  However, it might be the real deal.  If so, does that make it valuable?  Possibly, but it would have to be a quite rare and collectible coin to begin with.  Its value will have been severely reduced because of its modification and anything short of very rare and collectible would have rendered it worthless (except metal content, of course, as well as among button collectors, but I wouldn't hold my breath on the latter).

I'm pretty sure there are certain coins from the Roman Empire which are worth only a (US) buck or so, and maybe not even that.  (Again, some of our European members here who specialize in these kinds of finds can correct me and give more detail.)  The reason is they are quite common and there isn't high demand for them among the collectors.  So even if your button is an authentic ancient coin it probably isn't valuable.  But then there's the "...on the other hand..." clause which keeps many of us going out week after week with detector in hand and optimism in brain.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Tn the small goldies are $2 the large are $1 50c 20 10 5c all in there we ditched our 1 and 2c coins back im the late 80s early 90s still find plenty.the older folks with there deepseekers and coinmasters cleaned out a lot of the pre decimals. Still i find a gew of them too il put some up but having issues uploading photos at the moment.

GB hello id say you are spot on in your analysis of the button i thought it odd to have any detail on the back. As for composition, I scratched it when retrieving it which exposed silvery colour so that was the trifecta as far as value loss along with the button conversion. In any case it was very out of place location wise.and curiosity has been bitting simce i found it. Again right on too its oddities like this that keeps me keen.

• Like 1