3"x6" DD Vs. 5" Round DD For F75?

I have the Fisher F75 black which comes with both the standard 7in X 11in DD and the 5 inch round DD.  They also make a 3 in X 6 in DD (among others).  I like coils but don't like wasting $.  My question is simply:  "Is it likely I'll be able to see much difference (in the positive direction, that is!) if I buy the 3x6?"  I have read a couple posts on another forum reviewing the F75 3x6 coil positively, but I don't know if those people actually had the 5 inch for comparison.

BTW, I'd be happy to hear responses from those who have used 3x6 coils, whether or not they've used the Fisher.  For example, the White's MXT has both a 3x6 and a 5.3 (the latter a concentric, though).

One of my favourite coils that is within the sizes that you have mantioned and i really enjoy using is the NEL Snake 6.5''x3.5'' i use one on my T2 and also a the UK version of the Vaquero called the Laser Trident11 Extreme,on both of these machines they perform superbly.

They cover slightly more ground that the 5'' T2 coil but target separation in my mind is slightly better,on trashy sites then the T2 with the Snake coil is my weapon of choice,then my 2nd choice for the next size up is the NEL SharpShooter 9.5''x5.5'',the Sharpshooter coil on my original green T2 has taken more gold coins ie full and quarter staters than all my other machine put together.

• Like 1

The Fisher F75  3x6" is an elliptical concentric, not a DD.    I don't use the small coils very often.   For small target hunting I would be more likely to use my 3x6 over my 5" DD just because it IS a concentric. 

But again I don't use them often enough to give you hard information. 

HH
Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi i am using a 3x6 on my F75 dst and i love it found lots of good stuff with it on the Thames river not cheap as it comes at 105 pounds with a stem but in FA mode 65 sens and 80 GB i am having fun it pays for the machine in 3 outings after 65 sens in IRON infested site i dig more for rubbish and ID is crap 65 is the best for me ......but i guess on cleaner spot you can push it a bit .IT is perfect to search between rocks,founds a 15th century chess rooks,a 11 grams gold 18ct gold fragment a 14ct gold ring with a big diamond and many more stuff...lots of gold with it ...............so i am keeping that one

RR

• Like 1

As Mike noted the Fisher 3x6 is a concentric, but there is the NEL Snake DD so you have both options. Are you using the 5" round coil a lot? There is not much difference between various small coils and since you already have the 5" that would be my go-to coil. Unless you are just looking for something to buy :smile:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Are you using the 5" round coil a lot?

Yes, in the heavy iron infestations.  If the iron isn't so bad I use the 5x10 concentric.  I use the 7x11 the least, but it's a good coil and the deepest.  Given its size and my style of hunting, I need to be in pretty quiet ground (meaning few nails) to be able to take advantage of the depth.  Thus it stays in the cabinet most of the time.  Now I say that probably having run all these coils at too high of a gain for the sites I'm hunting.  But from what I've read and experienced, the more iron, the smaller the coil that works best.

I'm getting a lot of good responses.  I think I'll sit tight with what I've got for a while.  I have a couple other detecting purchases on my list so I'll move those up and a tiny F75 coil down for now.  Thanks to everyone for your info and advice, but don't let me silence anyone.  I'm still listening....

my two cents

I borrowed a 6x3 elliptical twice from a hunting buddy for extended periods of time.  I did not have the ability to check targets between the two coils.

In areas with higher grass or stubble, the lack of weight of the 6x3 but having a longer area to have to push through the stubble made it harder to have smooth sweeps for me.

When I would run the F75 in 1n process, the sweet spot of a consistent high enough number to give the monotone seemed to be narrower (front to back) with the elliptical.  I have been doing quite well in finding liberty and shield nickels this year, by focusing on numbers between the 15 and 25 range in the carpets of iron trash, once I get a consistent monotone.  Using the 5", my sweeps can be a bit off the dead center, and still give the monotone, whereas the front or back section of the 6x3 was more likely to not give the consistent tone and then numerical readings to make me dig.  Two sites in particular I hit pretty well with the 6x3 a year ago, and I have pulled 3 liberty nickels from one site and 1shield, a liberty and a couple buffalos as well, using the 5".  

Now that I am using AM almost exclusively when not in extreme trash, I might ask to borrow the coil again, but I have since purchased the 10x5 elliptical, and that in AM does a wonderful job for me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rod-pa said:

...I have since purchased the 10x5 elliptical, and that in AM does a wonderful job for me.

Thanks for the detailed reply.  Here by "10x5 elliptical" do you mean the open concentric or the closed DD?

Don't know about the F75 but on the Makro Gold Racer and Nokta Gold Finder comparing 5" to the 7.5x4", the elliptical has a sharper response, a clear depth improvement (although small), but bangs a bit harder on hot rocks. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 3"x6" DD Vs. 5" Round DD For F75?