I'm Calling It Spanish Silver.... Maybe

On 10/20/2017 at 8:51 PM, steveg said:

I managed about 5 bucks in clad, a junk earring, and a junk necklace pendant, plus the usual assortment of pull tabs, ring tabs, lead weights, zipper pulls, etc. etc.

Steve

Steve, if you don't mind me asking, how many hours did it take you to acquire that magnificent hoard?  That would be about 10-12 hours worth on our barren beaches.  My results may be skewed since I don't usually dig low-high tones unless signals of any kind are REALLY scarce.  About the best thing you're gonna get on our beaches with a low-high is a quarter, and I have yet to see one worth digging out a foot of sand for.  :laugh:

Our beaches around Indiatlantic are weird.  Jewelry of any kind is rare.  I'm doing really well if I find one piece in a 4 hour hunt, BUT out of the jewelry I do find, about half is either gold or silver (mostly silver).  At Cocoa, about 12 miles north of here,  I can collect a pouch full of fake crappy bling in about 2 hours.  But out of about 10 trips up there this year I've managed only one thing that was the real deal. Strange.

Happy Hunting!

Sherry

• Like 1

Sherry,

Of COURSE you can ask!  No secrets here! 

If I had to guess, I'd say 12-15 hours probably.  I was digging ANY tones above low foil; there just weren't a whole lot of targets -- barren, as you said, was how I'd describe it.  I was surprised at times how long I could go without getting a signal.  

Again, though, my inexperience as to "which parts" of the beach to hunt means I am sure I spent a lot of time on unproductive areas where a more experienced hunter would have immediately ruled out.  Sand bars, for instance.  I tried the offshore sand bars, thinking maybe I'd get a recent drop from someone out there playing in the water when the tide was higher.  But those sand bars produced almost nothing, and in hindsight that was probably wasted time.  Most of my finds were either along the towel/chair line, or on the sloping wet sand.  Nate (which came onshore 12 hours prior to our arrival) had things stirred up, too.  Lots of sand -- sanded in, I was told.  So lots of things going on, such that I'm not sure my experience there would be real applicable for an experienced hunter like you, in terms of trying to decide if it would be "worth your time" to try a hunt there.

Wow, that is strange, how on some of your beaches you find very little, but if you do, it's often gold or silver...but then on another beach you find lots of jewelry, but almost always junk.  Beaches, I can already tell in that short amount of time, are strange animals.  Head-scratching, for a beach newb like myself!

Steve

• Like 2

On 10/22/2017 at 9:43 AM, MontAmmie said:

...At Cocoa, about 12 miles north of here,  I can collect a pouch full of fake crappy bling in about 2 hours.  But out of about 10 trips up there this year I've managed only one thing that was the real deal. Strange.

Happy Hunting!

Sherry

Be happy location first drops you onto southside Cocoa Beach.. Minutemen Cswy / Coconuts is where the local $$s and Orlando "society" tend to congregate.. From 520 north to The Pier and on into Cape Canaveral are the "working man" beach locations, and even fake bling is nearly extinct up this way these days..

It isn't just the beaches either.. There was a thread running earlier this year discussing the possible / probable causes responsible for now-time dearth of gold bling and rings ---> http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3413-i-am-having-to-do-a-complete-reset/ We never have picked back up on it, and I'm sure we all know the majority of the reasons as to why not..

I did hit the end of 520 yesterday (Sun) afternoon BTW for low tide (low tide?, what low tide??) in total disregard to web cam advisement and common sense.. Waste of time and guzzeline.. Still all slope, roil and rip.. Mebbie after this front moves through late tomorrow things will finally flatten out..

Swamp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I did hit the end of 520 yesterday (Sun) afternoon BTW for low tide (low tide?, what low tide??) in total disregard to web cam advisement and common sense.. Waste of time and guzzeline.. Still all slope, roil and rip.. Mebbie after this front moves through late tomorrow things will finally flatten out..

Swamp

Dang, Al, nothing?  I was thinking about going up there in a day or so, when it quits raining, the surf calms down, and the low tide time gets a little more convenient.  The only problem is that we're also supposed to get a little preview of January in a day or so.  Wednesday's high is only supposed to be 74, which is almost pleasant unless you're in the water or wet.  The water is still warm, so it might not be too bad.  Man, I hate to see winter coming.  I really despise having to hunt in a wetsuit.

Better enjoy the beach "erosion" while we can.  The big sand dump is still right on schedule for late 2018, early 2019.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/environment/2017/06/02/beach-project-rides-rocky-road/355384001/?hootPostID=67f7b180b8bfcc5496069749fc0cc93c

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

Dang, Al, nothing?  I was thinking about going up there in a day or so, when it quits raining, the surf calms down, and the low tide time gets a little more convenient.  The only problem is that we're also supposed to get a little preview of January in a day or so.  Wednesday's high is only supposed to be 74, which is almost pleasant unless you're in the water or wet.  The water is still warm, so it might not be too bad.  Man, I hate to see winter coming.  I really despise having to hunt in a wetsuit.

Better enjoy the beach "erosion" while we can.  The big sand dump is still right on schedule for late 2018, early 2019.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/environment/2017/06/02/beach-project-rides-rocky-road/355384001/?hootPostID=67f7b180b8bfcc5496069749fc0cc93c

Welll, not nothing nothing.. A small assortment of US & Canadian pennies and dimes, couple of quarters.. Hits were scattered and few; everything solid got dug.. Couldn't really work the shallows cos it just wasn't there yet still where I spent the majority of time, and couldn't establish any sort of lines in the other wet zones either; the finds were totally random.. After a while I started digging certain bad signals too just to see what they were.. Was fairly even between med-small nails and those bits of flat dark brown metal that emit a high (but jittery to a VLF or understanding what your PI's telling you) tone.. (Next to fish hooks, nails are 2nd on my list of why I no longer go bare foot on beaches..) One other thing: Besides finding no jewelry of any sort it was the first time I recall not finding a single bottle cap or pull tab either.. Was in wet sand only though, and those tend to be dry sand finds..

Yo! -- a bit early to panic about air temp don'cha think..? Yer gonna scare Peg off before she's even here n then she'll stay in ID all winter where it's warm & safe.. :huh: On the plus side my new scoop should be here Wed, just in time to begin working around the expected ice floes.. :blink:

Oh joy, can't wait.. I wonder if they're gonna try to feist yet another "temporary special tax" on us to pay for all the additional sand not budgeted for and now needed to replace that gone forever due to Irma..? I'm sure they'll come up with something for us; they've always been able to in the past..

Swamp