My Experience As A Novice With The Minelab GM 1000

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum!

It is very difficult when new to detecting, especially nugget detecting, to know what is up when you struggle with a new detector. Nugget detecting is in my opinion one of the most difficult types of detecting there is. The reality is it is hard to find gold nuggets if you know what you are doing and not unusual for novices to go a very long time before finding that first nugget. Many in fact never do and give the whole thing up. Along the way it can be quite easy to start questioning the detector, in particular new ones with little track record.

You now know part of the secret appeal of nugget detecting however. What makes it great is it is so bloody hard! Like climbing a mountain or running a marathon, it is the difficulty of the challenge, and then the satisfaction of overcoming the challenge, that sets metal detecting for gold nuggets apart from most types of detecting. You look so long, and work so hard at finding that nugget, that when it appears it can be a real rush. An addictive rush at that. Once you experience the thrill of finding gold it is a rare person who does not want to just do it again and again.

And so..... congratulations, and thanks for posting!!

• Like 6

Thanks JW,

There were times on the weekend that I had to drop the sensitivity down to two. so it doesn't love the hot ground

Unless it was a sun baker I doubt I would I of found it, However in other sections in the same location the sensitivity was up to seven. 

It still wouldn't of had the punch of a PI but at least I am out there.

As for being hooked , LOL yes I am. Best thing is my kids love coming with me so that makes the wife happy cause she gets the day off.

Happy wife happy life!

• Thanks 1