Minelab Equinox EQX 11" DD Coil

The Minelab Equinox comes standard with a 11" round DD coil, which is similar to but different than previous Minelab coils. We can assume they only work on the Equinox series. A 6" round and 12" x 15" coil have also been announced as in the works so there will be at least three coils available when the Equinox launches, although availability is always an open question.

Hopefully Minelab will not impede and in fact I hope they will help third party companies make more coils for the Equinox. Coil availability is a big deal with any new detector, and Minelab is doing well by having three coils ready on release. I have no doubt however everyone will already be looking at the three options and wishing for more. High on my list is a 6" x 10" elliptical for gold prospecting. With all the frequency options available on this detector, it makes me wonder about the possibility of specialty coils wound to perform specifically at certain frequencies. In other words, a 6" x 10" coil optimized to run specifically at 40 khz I would assume would have a small edge over a 6" x 10" coil that has to run well in all the frequency options. High frequencies normally require thinner wire and fewer windings and so can make for lighter coils. Long story short hopefully we see third party coils in short order. The more the merrier and it will only help Equinox sales.

Here is the Equinox coil next to a CTX 3030 coil....

minelab-equinox-11-coil-vs-ctx-3030-coil.jpg

minelab-equinox-11-dd-coil.jpg

• Like 3