The New Coils For The 2300

phoenix

Thanks Steve, I stand corrected. But even at that, like you said, there is the warranty issue. And is the coil manufacturerer going to come up with a simple way to attach these coils for those of us that are mechanically handicapped?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I agree Keith - sorry for tripping over your posts!

No worries Steve.?

So one solution to the problem would be to produce some sort of coil mount that fits onto the end of the lower shaft. And I’m assuming that the new coils have their own unique electrical connector that plugs into the SDC; if they didn’t, why develop new coils when there is already a plethora if mono loop coils of various suzes and configurations available on the market. Just conjecture at this point...?

2 hours ago, Lunk said:

Phoenix, While it would be nice to have other coils available for the SDC, I am just surprised that there has been no discussion about the obvious difficulties associated with replacing the 2300s stock coil, which is electrically hard wired to the unit, as well as being mechanically difficult to remove. Not to mention doing so would void the warranty. Also, I haven’t seen any mention of what company or individual(s) is developing these coils. Did I miss a post about this somewhere?

Cheers

Lunk be assured, I saw the coil on the detector. I was told how this one was fitted was not the way the final release would be fitted.   I have no doubt what so ever that if anything had to be cut to fit the after market coil it will cancel the warranty but that`s no great drama for me anyway because my detector is 3 months out of warranty now. And sorry mate but if the people building this coil don`t want to come on here and talk about it, it`s not my part be naming them. I asked for permission to mention this coil on the forum and was told that was OK as long as I said it was a prototype.   Anyway, I still want one of these coils when they come out. :smile: cheers Dave

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jin said:

I wondered if this was the new coil for the sdc being tested, but it sounds more like a gpx is being used.

Not owning a Sdc im not familiar with its sound so might be completely way off. Viewing this video on a big high-resolution monitor using windows magnifier you can make out that the letters on the coil and colours are similar to the standard minilab coils (red/black/white). Stoppsy who made this video knows Rowan from Nugget Finder coils and often has pre-release coils he tries out. Looking at the bits of the coil you can see... it doesn't look like a Nugget Finder coil. I just thought that the coil used might have been for the Sdc.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phoenix said:

Lunk be assured, I saw the coil on the detector. I was told how this one was fitted was not the way the final release would be fitted.   I have no doubt what so ever that if anything had to be cut to fit the after market coil it will cancel the warranty but that`s no great drama for me anyway because my detector is 3 months out of warranty now. And sorry mate but if the people building this coil don`t want to come on here and talk about it, it`s not my part be naming them. I asked for permission to mention this coil on the forum and was told that was OK as long as I said it was a prototype.   Anyway, I still want one of these coils when they come out. :smile: cheers Dave

Thanks for the additional information, Phoenix; sounds like once all the details are worked out, the end product should be a winner. And just to be clear, I never doubted that you had seen the prototype...I always give people the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word...I was just fishing for more information about the subject.  Well, I guess I have certainly ignited the discussion on this topic that I was looking for!?

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jin said:

Not owning a Sdc im not familiar with its sound so might be completely way off. Viewing this video on a big high-resolution monitor using windows magnifier you can make out that the letters on the coil and colours are similar to the standard minilab coils (red/black/white). Stoppsy who made this video knows Rowan from Nugget Finder coils and often has pre-release coils he tries out. Looking at the bits of the coil you can see... it doesn't look like a Nugget Finder coil. I just thought that the coil used might have been for the Sdc.  

Jin, since nobody has commented on your post, I just thought I'd mention that you are correct in guessing that the threshold in the video is not that of the SDC 2300; I would recognize that sound in my sleep.

• Like 2