Trev From New Zealand

Trev (NZ)

One for the Elvis Fans.   Bluebird asked if I could somehow bring Elvis into one of my tales.  I posted these on a NZ Gold Forum.

Well Blue Bird, whats that old saying. A bird in the hand is worth three in the bush, well something kinda like that. But let me take you on a journey.
A few years back I was deep in the mountains, after climbing a very torturous creek, alas it was a Duffer kinda creek, but I had faith in it, so kept climbing and testing. But alas no gold. It looked good, all the right geology, and no he is not a Greek god.

Anyway I finally came to a humongous water fall, that's it I cried , I am going no further. So I just sat on a rock and watched the water cascading down. And as I sat there feeling somewhat dejected and just a little bit down, and I might add completely stuffed. A Bush Robin hopped in front of me. And then damm a Bellbird began to sing, a fantail came to show me her dance. A tui began to chuckle

I lifted my eyes, with wonderment, it seemed all gods little creatures had come to cheer me up. But wait their is more. On a distant ridge, shrouded in mist I saw something. Oh frig I thought, not Barry again. That buggar gets everywhere. But that's not a rifle he's carrying, its a bloody guitar. Oh holly comolly I thought I hope its not Bob Dylan or Joe Crocker. Mind you I do really Like " I get bye with a little help from my friends" by Joe. Just that I wasn't in the mood for it that day.

And then I heard it, " Anywhere is Paradise" it wafted down from the far off ridge. But kept getting closer. Until finally he appeared. Yep bloody Elvis. I was kinda lucky as there was a good rock next to me to sit on. But I had the best rock, and he said you obviously know your rock.

I'll give you half an hour, take a look around. You and I are in Paradise. So we rock and rolled. Time for me to go, he said, after a very special 30 minutes, I have other places to be.

You know the drill he said to me. Yep I said, " Elvis has left the room" Nope he said Paradise is where you find it, and we found it here today.
But now you can say " Elvis has left the Room". Which I did, a wind blew down that lonely valley and the mist blew in. When I turned he was gone. I looked at the ridge and saw two ghostly figures in the encroaching mist, one had a guitar slung over his shoulder, the other a sugar bag pack and a 303 fully wooded rifle. They paused and looked at me. And in the distance I heard the dying strains of " Love me Tender"
And then Barry let a shot go, yep I reckon he kinda likes me. I got a " One Gun Salute" well he does have to conserve his ammo you know.

I made my way back down the creek, and swore I shall always call this " Paradise Creek" a place to return to when I am in need off inspiration
and a bit up of get up and go.

Who knows my brushed back hair mate and he of the sugar bag. May just appear.

But I doubt it. Those things happy only once in a lifetime.

But I'll be looking out for them.

Thanks Bluebird, you got me writing again.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
arrow_up_button.png
  • Like 1

Enjoyed these tales... the wit and lively sense of humor ...  thankyou.  :)

Barry Crump...  I've read one of his books, but don't recollect the title.

It was an interesting read about a young woman travelling the South Island and meeting her future husband by way of experiencing several successful "adventures" related to prospecting New Zealand greenstone (jade or pounamu) and mining... with a happy ending.  The book has since been donated to our local library.

Jim.

Thank you Jim and Steve and others.  A friend of mine who dwells in the literary field wants me to write a book of short stories of my adventures.  But I keep putting her off, others on the paydirt  (NZ)forum ) were of the same opinion.  Maybe " One Day".

Cheers Trev