If you look at that doc I linked to the primary cause of regulator freezing is moisture from exhaling into the regulator freezing, not moisture in the air coming from the compressor, though that is not impossible. You are more likely to have problems when breathing through the regulator above water, since the water temps are above freezing. Not uncommon when using a full face mask as you can be up and about doing things above water without removing the mask. If possible a full face mask with a removable regulator connection is good as you can remove the regulator and not breath through it while out of the water without having to remove the full mask assembly.

Moisture going into the compressor is heated as the air compresses. In the regulator the compressed air decompresses so you can breath it. This reduction in pressure creates cold (compressing creates heat, decompression the opposite) at the exit point in the regulator that can bring the moisture out and freeze it, plugging the regulator. I have had this happen momentarily but the line pressure rises rapidly and a little bit of ice pops into my mouth and air flow resumes. As the doc I linked to notes this can be startling and when on higher pressure scuba systems even dangerous. In my case it was very rare and mostly just an annoyance. And I honestly can’t swear that the ice was not from something other than the line feed.

Beware of automotive filters. First concern, can they possibly add toxins to your air? That would not be a concern to a car but anything going into your lungs for hours every day should worry anyone. Like using cheap airline instead of breathing approved food grade air lines. Hot air in that cheap line may volatize toxins in the plastic and put them in your lungs. Nothing that you even notice now and nothing you might even connect with the lung cancer that develops later as a result.

Another concern with the automotive filter - what does it do with the moisture? If moisture collects in the filter, what happens if it freezes?

Not trying to be a worry wart but this is life support equipment.

• Like 1

Hey Neighbor!

Just one little bit of advice.. put 5200 on your fingers and thumb on the gloves, it will make them last from 3 weeks to 3 months.  Get the 5200 in the Red and White package.. NOT the blue and white.  The Red and White package cures over night compared to 7 days with the other.

Brian

• Like 1

You guys are making me cold.  It's gonna be a bone-chilling 66 degrees at 7 am tomorrow, but I'll be putting on my sweatpants and long sleeves and hitting that low tide anyway!  :laugh:

• Like 1

I had a business I used air guns and I had to drain the water out of the tank each day. If I didn’t the air guns would lockup because of the water buildup .

if you got a dredge with air then drain the air tank each day and save you trouble down the road.

Chuck

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, sjmpainter said:

Bob, I did try the Si Tech dock system. I had Neoprene wrist seals and I think the system I used was designed for Latex. The set up came apart repeatedly and I gave up and went back to the 7mm mitts.

What set up did you find that worked?

I use this type inner and outer ring, never had a glove come off. Glove just fits tight over outer ring and I do add a rubber band but probably not needed. I have latex seals but should work on either. 

pulover-glove-rings.png

• Like 1

Any clue what brand that is?

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:16 PM, sjmpainter said:

ny clue what brand that is?

We have them here on the shelf at AMDS

• 1 month later...

I have been meaning to post this for a while.  The best knee pads I have found for diving is baseball catchers gear.  They protect the bottom of your suit, comfortable and easy to put on.  I have been using this pair for years.  I covered exposed threads along the plastic with expoxy but next time I think I would use JB weld so it would stick better.

image.jpeg

• Like 1