When To Walk Away....

Now I see the issue.   That picture looks normal, Tiftaaft.    Looks to me that you are doing good.   Add a bunch more foil to the picture and it could be my pouch we're looking at.  The stable TID targets are the icing on the cake.  All iffy jumping around numbers, ie, the trash are the  "could have been's".   Could have been gold, could have been old, could have been neat....

Some of my neatest finds have come from, "could have been signals.

I'd say you are doing it right.   You could cherry pick solid high conductors but you'll miss nice things like that watch in my avatar picture.

HH
Mike

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

Now I see the issue.   That picture looks normal, Tiftaaft.    Looks to me that you are doing good.   Add a bunch more foil to the picture and it could be my pouch we're looking at.  The stable TID targets are the icing on the cake.  All iffy jumping around numbers, ie, the trash are the  "could have been's".   Could have been gold, could have been old, could have been neat....

Some of my neatest finds have come from, "could have been signals.

I'd say you are doing it right.   You could cherry pick solid high conductors but you'll miss nice things like that watch in my avatar picture.

HH
Mike

I agree Mike, this was a targeted hunt.  I knew the item in question wouldn't be an iffy signal once I got the coil over it.  My normal "trash take" has about 3x the trash and includes foil and bottle caps that I specifically and manually (with my brain) discriminated.  Just trying to show that even targeting "good" signals... you are going to dig trash.  It is the nature of the beast!!  :)  Tim.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

...My particular new 'favorites' are the condiment wrappers that for whatever reason have started sounding sweet on my explorer...

Tim.

Good one..! I failed to mention condiment packs when noting trash items that mimic good targets.. Numbers mean nothing here (because different detector's readouts) but they hit as sweet repeatables above nickles and below zinc..

Something else on the sweetly repeatable 'hit' parade that sounds off just slightly below condiment packs is this thinner pog-type inner safety seal being "cardboard" one side w/ tightly attached metallic flip.. I assume they must belong to a new(er) drink product that comes in a wide-mouth glass bottle.. They started showing up on the beach right at two years ago..

Swamp

• Like 3

When I got my first detector in 1972 discrimination did not quite exist yet. You dug it all, but aluminum trash did not exist yet either, and so I actually dug less trash back then. Now every year they invent more trash to find, and the people who think the ground is a garbage can are always in endless supply. It would help a lot if the government did not get into the garbage business by making zinc pennies! I hate those things. Half are so corroded you literally have to throw them in the trash. But my plain gold band wedding ring reads just like a zinc penny!

• Like 5

On 10/26/2017 at 3:30 PM, Tiftaaft said:

My particular new 'favorites' are the condiment wrappers that for whatever reason have started sounding sweet on my explorer.

I got one of those last Sunday, 6 inches deep (don't know how it got down there...), strong signal and high TID -- between dime and quarter.  Had a nail right under it.  I don't remember if I went at it from multiple directions.  I know if it's hitting that high of a TID I'm digging, so don't always investigate so much.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I got one of those last Sunday, 6 inches deep (don't know how it got down there...), strong signal and high TID -- between dime and quarter.  Had a nail right under it.  I don't remember if I went at it from multiple directions.  I know if it's hitting that high of a TID I'm digging, so don't always investigate so much.

Ut-oh.. Now you have me questioning my memory.. Maybe numbers do matter after all.. Welll, at least as far as remembering what scale goes with which machine that is.. I typed the above based on where things hit on an AT Pro using the number scale for an F-5, duh..

The safety seals are definitely a 44 on the AT Pro, which puts them below nickles.. But since seeing your post I'm really no longer sure if the condiment packs were 50, which is what I thought I remembered them as and would also put them below nickles too, or if they are a high conductor up 80-81 way right below dime..?

Plus, is it possible there is that big a difference between a really 'foil-y' ketchup packet vs the fairly standard industrial brand yellow mustard and pickle relish, which generally come in either all-plastic or a combo plastic-and-light-foil packet..? (Coincidence or otherwise, none of the packets I'm referencing were ketchup..) 

I'll try to get this straightened out, or at the very least get for sure correct readings / numbers.. Will take the VLF along with or instead of the PI next beach trip.. I wouldn't think it should be possible for a huge discrepancy between similar items, but who knows..? And if my packet reading is wrong as remembered, there should be no difference anyhow.. Gads..!

Swamp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Something else on the sweetly repeatable 'hit' parade that sounds off just slightly below condiment packs is this thinner pog-type inner safety seal being "cardboard" one side w/ tightly attached metallic flip.. I assume they must belong to a new(er) drink product that comes in a wide-mouth glass bottle.. They started showing up on the beach right at two years ago..

OMG I hate those things.  They are a perfect 08 from every direction on the DFX.  Just like Hubby's 14 K wedding ring.

aluminum-foil-seal-250x250.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

is it possible there is that big a difference between a really 'foil-y' ketchup packet vs the fairly standard industrial brand yellow mustard and pickle relish, which generally come in either all-plastic or a combo plastic-and-light-foil packet..? (Coincidence or otherwise, none of the packets I'm referencing were ketchup..)

Mine was ketchup, and given its depth it may be 40 years old.  The spot I found it has produced oodles of ring-and-beavertail pulltabs which are that old.  So I wouldn't take mine as the norm.  And if the nail directly underneath was vertical, even though shielded some, that could increase the TID.

Yeh, I know those drink bottle seals you and MontAmmie are talking about, but I don't get many (thankfully).  They're big enough and have a thick enough layer of aluminum to really sound good, especially for a dig-it-all (non-ferrous) detectorist.

• Like 2

OK I got out yesterday at lunch and hit the nearby beach for a half hour. Gridded off an area about 100 sq ft and went to it. Every solid hit went into my scoop, the chatty ones I passed up (and if it WAS a deep keeper - I didn't have the right tool with me to get it  anyway). So stuck with scoop-depth targets. 

I' used the new 15" WOT I acquired (thanks Tim) on my X705. She is indeed very sensitive and noisy running over the wet sand, and since at that moment I forgot how to activate the Beach-ground mode and I should have maybe tried the auto ground track too - but didn't....., I just dropped sensitivity down and stayed in dryer sand.  But she was quite easy to use when discerning multiple targets next to each other and I picking one of my quarters out of some junk. So I felt good about that - And I also was calling out the target before viewing, and the lead weights had me going for sure!   

Everything my detector said to dig, I dug. and went in my pouch. here was my findings (trash and all) for that 30 mins. 

59f8c031114e8_gbonesfinds_103017.thumb.jpg.0038b59d9ae3b734477a336eb5ecd850.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gbonus uralias said:

I' used the new 15" WOT

Which frequency?  I have the 3.0 kHz 15" Coiltek but have yet to use it.  I have all three (frequency) 6 inch round coils (Coiltek 3.0 kHz "digger"; other two are Minelab) and like those best.  In fact I prefer the 18.75 kHz 6 in. coil, although I need to try the others with lower gain.  I'm thinking running at too high of gain (typically 25) has led to much of the wraparound (iron-->silver) problems I was having.

Looks like the saltwater does a number on clad quarters.  Wonder how long it takes to turn them dark like that....