Depth Test - White’s Surf Pi, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Infinium, White’s TDI Pro And Garrett ATX

Build a test garden in 10 minutes?  I'm envious!

I wish besides the 12 in ('Aussie') mono on the White's TDI Pro he had also run with a smaller coil.  Since all these detectors (not surprisingly) had different size and shape coils it would have given a better indication as to the detector electronics contribution.

That's a pretty sophisticated protective cover he had on the TDI.  Looks likel something I'd make. :biggrin:

Of course its only a general indication on how each detector performs,i do own a TDI pro and it just shows exactly what depth advantage can be gained over other machines.Must admit never really like the stock 12'' DF coil so i mainly use the Coiltek 14x9 Mono which is not only deeper,its also lighter weight wise yet still deadly on small coin size finds.But for very small items like say cut 1/4 and 1/2 silver hammered coins and roman then the MJ 9x5 folded mono is the coil that i prefer,dont do nugget hunting or much beach detecting as mine is mainly inland.Cannot comment about the other machines used in the test though as i have never used them.

• Like 2

It’s a bit of a cheat putting a “not waterproof” detector up against a slate of waterproof detectors. I lobbied for a waterproof TDI Pro from day one but White’s never pulled the trigger. There were problems trying to get a TDI Pro into a waterproof configuration, but the TDI SL board was designed to fit directly into the Beachhunter ID case. Still never happened. Since I expect a beach detector to be mask and snorkel capable, White’s forced me into Garrett’s arms. I have done well in the water with the ATX as “the next best thing” to a waterproof TDI Pro. Unfortunately even if White’s did put a TDI SL in a waterproof case it won’t match the TDI Pro for performance so I am still just as well off with the ATX. If I were just walking the beach or maybe light wading, I would have the a TDI Pro instead.

• Like 1