Repairing / Modifying My Picks

phoenix

I've been thinking about doing the same to mine also. I reckon the pointier end would be much better at digging than the original design. Thanks for the pictures Dave

Cheers Rick

• Like 1

Looks okay but only drama is once heated by the weld the spring steel is weakened a lot and normally will break really quickly.  I hope it last but I make spring steel pilots for the auger of my dingo and heat it to much even cutting with a grinder for to long and they break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldwright said:

Looks okay but only drama is once heated by the weld the spring steel is weakened a lot and normally will break really quickly.  I hope it last but I make spring steel pilots for the auger of my dingo and heat it to much even cutting with a grinder for to long and they break.

Yeh mate,  that`s why I only welded them length ways, not across the blade. I figure way less chance of them breaking. cheers

SDC13715.jpg

Great way to save some Dinero..... Thanks for the idea, and post...

Dave

• Like 1

Did the same recently using steel cut from a spare grouser plate off my bulldozer:

neuuls.jpg

Did a low hydrogen butt weld in an "V" formation to avoid cross fracturing.:

2e549c7.jpg

Steel looks thicker (and longer) than it actually is because of camera foreshortening. I've successfully done this before using high tensile steel without any problems. Once the tip wears a bit I'll hit it with a tungsten carbide based hardfacing electrode.  :smile:

• Like 4