Thanksgiving Nuggets

Glenn

got out alone this morning and decided to hit an old area that has been beat to death, but it is easy to get to and I have a long long hike planned for tomorrow morning so I didn't want to kill myself. The old 2200d that I am using while waiting for my 4500 to be repaired was making more weird sounds than I could count, it was wobbling and screeching and just plain annoying me and no matter how many retunes I did it never got any better, so I just tried to get into the rhythm of the wobbling and see if I could hear any changes, after about two hours it started to settle down and I got a very weak signal and I spent at least a half hour digging for the target, when I got into bedrock and red clay hardback I knew my chances were pretty good, I was down at least a foot and finally popped out this yellow turkey leg and then about 15 minutes later I hit the small one for dessert. One darn good meal.post-172-0-32371000-1417125383_thumb.jpgpost-172-0-20397400-1417125422_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, awesome, just goes to show you put any decent detector in the hands of a good prospector and gold will appear! It is hard going backwards with the models though, so I am sure you will be happy to get your GPX back. That SD warble drove me nuts.

That is one crazy chunk of gold. Looks like it was longer once then got bent over. May as well call it an ounce; toise are getting hard to find.

Thanks, yeah that area has been just pounded with everything and by a lot of good hunters, so it was just plain a miracle that I heard that big one, I can't wait for my machine back, that 2200 might be hitting gold but it is driving me nuts and it only has channel 2 , channel 1 won't even hit my pick

Hope you are running in both channels - it is not one or the other. They complement each other, with channel one picking up nuggets channel two misses.

or are you saying channel one is non-functional? That would be scary! But hey, with a nugget like that it earned its keep.

Yes if you put it in channel one you can run the pick over the coil and it barely responds, but channel two is very sensitive, I have found about 1 1/4 ounces in the last week with it so I know it hits targets and I am finding them behind other guys that are detecting the same areas so either my ear is pretty good or they are missing a lot. I knew the machine was a huge step backward so I put a platypus on it because of the extra sensitivity I seem to get out of them, it is a mono and you have to be very gentle with the coil to prevent falseing, but they are very good at faint targets.

The SD2200 needs to be run in both channels for maximum depth, as each channel has some pretty scary holes in them on certain sized nuggets that the other one has maximum performance on.

I would hate to have to go back to an SD after all these years so well done for persevering, like Steve said the operator on the end of the detector can make a huge difference in the outcome. Some really nice gold you've got there Glenn, good to see it's still out there even in the well frequented areas.

JP

Glenn… I think for many of us immersed in this hobby, who live at a great distance from the goldfields, on viewing your remarkable gold nuggets, have to pause in appreciative reflection that such areas actually do exist where one can find valuable raw gold. Congratulations on an outstanding piece…

Jim.