Cold Weather Detecting

I spent a couple years in Nome...... Got to experience -65...... That'll make yer sphincter pucker.:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nome has to be one of the coldest places on earth on a regular bases and Fairbanks is not any better,  Many must of died in the Gold Rush days not having the gear we have now,  Poor devils, No detectors, basic transport, simple clothing and the list goes on, I got seriously cold where I nearly lost my fingers back in the late 70's early 80's and I vowed that that would never happen again, I couldn't even remove my gloves,

A couple of years back I hit a good patch where the finds were thick and fast at a Victorian country House/Mansion and I had been outside for about 12/14 hours and I was covered in frost and Ice when I walked in the back door, It's very easy to loose track of time and the dangers you face when detecting in bad climate conditions, Since then I always take a good Stanley Flask with me and take a break every 3 hours or so, I just did a review of about a Dozen of Stanley's Flask's over on  PA, because Stanley released a new super heavy duty range this year and they are Awesome, and I found which of their products are top performers too. Having this gear makes winter detecting much more enjoyable that's for sure.

John. 

In theory, if you used a hand warmer on your wrist, near where your pulse can be felt, this should warm the blood going to your fingers giving them some advantage. My sister made me a pair of wrist warmers, from old sweater sleeves cut off, and the cuff had a stitch such that the thumb went through the small hole and the palm the rest. This would hold a hand warmer in position pretty well if snug enough to do so.

I work outdoors and these wrist warmers cover the gap between jacket sleeve and glove that often gets cold air if not snow in there (one never slips or trips in rugged terrain when there's snow on the ground, right?). So before you toss out your old sweater or sweatshirt, or your kids if they've outgrown them (actually may be better as they'll hold closer), consider making wrist warmers to hold the hand warmer against your pulse point.

Just a thought... Now if you've got a plan for softening the soil so targets can be dug in winter, I'm all ears!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Those XT Heat packs I bought would burn your wrists, they get well over 130*f, I had a bad shoulder earlier this year and I used one but I had to wrap it up in a towel because they just get too hot.

It's getting colder here next week so winter is on it's way, :huh:

John.

The "Heat Factory" ones I get from Costco don't run so hot, and last 5-6 hours. They're disposable. Package says to use them outside of the sock, so maybe that should be tried first. I've used them stuck to my feet under socks and the only discomfort was the big lump in my boot!

A box of 30 pair is about $15 or there abouts.

It snowed again (Minnesnowta) today but didn't stick much anywhere. Might see 40 this weekend but it'll be rainy they say. Hope to get out to detect some.

• Like 1

Winter has arrived already in the Yukon. I tried the other day detecting some now exposed gravel bars on the Yukon river running through Whitehorse but the surface has already frozen up. All that was recoverable was a Canadian quarter and a five of diamonds fishing lure sitting on the surface lol

Auminesweeper, the Snow Mantra is great eh! I've worked down to -45'c in mine, love it. But too hot above -15 for me. Was working for an airline in Yellowknife and we got an insane discount. Paid $150 off a paycheck back in 2000. Still a working jacket, it's built tough.

• Like 1

You have my sympathy having to work in those temps, The Yukon is no place for inferior clothing and any weak links will show up very quickly,

I bought mine back in 2012 because I refuse to go through what I did a few years back where I had Ice on my coat covering my chest and I could not get my hands to work so I could not remove my gloves or my coat and the pain was something else, I have avoided catching colds or Flu since 2002 and I only got it back then was because of the Kids,,  Can't say they never give me anything, :biggrin:  :laugh:

I wear mine in temps of -12 to -22*c, I found that if you open it up it makes a wicked bed cover on chilly nights to, Lol

It was about 2 or 3* here last night and my weather doodad says it's dropping below freezing next week, Winter is my favourite time of year because all the silly people wise up and stay home and the Air is fresh,

There is a Company I found that makes Beaver mitts, they are not cheap but I might buy a pair just to see how they fare.

John.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

You have my sympathy having to work in those temps, The Yukon is no place for inferior clothing and any weak links will show up very quickly

Dress for success ;) Insulated Carharts and a Canada Goose Parka, oh and Baffin -100 Drillers boots. But the boots have steel toes and yeah... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Dress for success ;) Insulated Carharts and a Canada Goose Parka, oh and Baffin -100 Drillers boots. But the boots have steel toes and yeah... 

I am trying to find a set of Carlhart Bibs over here but that is proving to be a bit of a pain.

I think Baffin also make a Safety Toe Boot that is "Not" made of steel, here are some of them,

https://winterboots.com/mens-work-and-safety-boots.html?gender=Male&act=1002

John.