Cold Weather Detecting

Steve thinking about you move to NV, I bet your first summer there must of knocked you sideways, I don't think you could find two more opposite climates, from one of the coldest places on earth to one of the hottest, Alaska is one place where you have to plan your activities by the seasons even in the towns and cities.

My cold weather gear is REI wool tops and bottoms, different types of gloves and a wool hat.

I have some nylon fishing  shirts some heavier wool shirts and some heavy cotton. I also have wool/silk and wool socks...

The wool is smart wool that comes in various weights.  If the temp is below freezing... I don't go. have 1/2 fingers-they work pretty well-however, that crowds my hands on the gpz. work gloves

Racket-ball gloves are great for cold but not freezing condition.

Also home depo work gloves...remove the little magnetic strip the sometime have.

I have wool gloves that have half fingers

• Like 2

It was -6*c 40 miles north of me on Sunday night and some places saw temps of -8*c, Due to the lateness of the cold weather I think we are in for some cold spells this winter, Yet today it's back up to 11.2*c,  In the past I have detected in the Snow which turned to Ice, keeping warm was not a problem but once I stopped detecting walking back to the truck that's when you really notice how cold it is,

J. 

• 1 year later...

Found these highlighted in the Winter 2018-19 issue of Popular Mechanics:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Medium-Heated-Gloves-with-Battery-and-Charger-561-21M/305584019

You're going to pay, but maybe we're getting to a high-tech solution that really keeps your hands warm, not just the painful barely above freezing of most solutions.  As you know, the more focused you can be when detecting, the more successful.  Being distracted by cold hands just detracts from your performance.

28 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Found these highlighted in the Winter 2018-19 issue of Popular Mechanics:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Medium-Heated-Gloves-with-Battery-and-Charger-561-21M/305584019

You're going to pay, but maybe we're getting to a high-tech solution that really keeps your hands warm, not just the painful barely above freezing of most solutions.  As you know, the more focused you can be when detecting, the more successful.  Being distracted by cold hands just detracts from your performance.

Outdoor Research are about the best Glove/Mitts I have Tested and they are used up Everest and the Antarctic Base I have 2 pairs of their Alti Mitts and a couple of pairs of their different liner gloves, I know of folks who have worn them in -50*c and below, They are not cheap but I can slip my hands in and out as I need to, Over here they cost about $230.00 a pair but I almost lost my hands once so I don't worry about the cost of my ECWS gear but they are factory rated from -28* to -40*c/f, I stuck my hand in the Deep freeze to see if the cold would get through and I never knew it was there, dang things are Bomb proof. and my parka is tested down to -70*c so winter don't stand a chance against the gear I got, Lol

Outdoor Research also make 3 or 4 pairs of Heated gloves and mitts but they are not cheap but at leased you get to keep your fingers, A few years back Alpha Industries bought out a Parka Called the Alaska Extreme Cold Weather and it was 100% water proof and a lot heavier material than the Nylon versions and it's good for -20*f or -29*c without layering up, Layer up and it will keep you safe in a lot colder temps than that. and they have the best hood design out of all the branded Parkas which is the same as the Hood on the Canada Goose Snow mantra, Alpha made them back in 1959 and I think on the earlier version back in 1951, As to which company thought of it first I don't know but for seriously bad weather both brands have the best hoods in the world bar none.