You have my sympathy having to work in those temps, The Yukon is no place for inferior clothing and any weak links will show up very quickly,

I bought mine back in 2012 because I refuse to go through what I did a few years back where I had Ice on my coat covering my chest and I could not get my hands to work so I could not remove my gloves or my coat and the pain was something else, I have avoided catching colds or Flu since 2002 and I only got it back then was because of the Kids,,  Can't say they never give me anything, :biggrin:  :laugh:

I wear mine in temps of -12 to -22*c, I found that if you open it up it makes a wicked bed cover on chilly nights to, Lol

It was about 2 or 3* here last night and my weather doodad says it's dropping below freezing next week, Winter is my favourite time of year because all the silly people wise up and stay home and the Air is fresh,

There is a Company I found that makes Beaver mitts, they are not cheap but I might buy a pair just to see how they fare.

John.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

You have my sympathy having to work in those temps, The Yukon is no place for inferior clothing and any weak links will show up very quickly

Dress for success ;) Insulated Carharts and a Canada Goose Parka, oh and Baffin -100 Drillers boots. But the boots have steel toes and yeah... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Dress for success ;) Insulated Carharts and a Canada Goose Parka, oh and Baffin -100 Drillers boots. But the boots have steel toes and yeah... 

I am trying to find a set of Carlhart Bibs over here but that is proving to be a bit of a pain.

I think Baffin also make a Safety Toe Boot that is "Not" made of steel, here are some of them,

https://winterboots.com/mens-work-and-safety-boots.html?gender=Male&act=1002

John.

Since leaving Alaska I have to admit my solution to getting cold is to quit and wait for it to get warmer!

• Like 5

Steve thinking about you move to NV, I bet your first summer there must of knocked you sideways, I don't think you could find two more opposite climates, from one of the coldest places on earth to one of the hottest, Alaska is one place where you have to plan your activities by the seasons even in the towns and cities.

My cold weather gear is REI wool tops and bottoms, different types of gloves and a wool hat.

I have some nylon fishing  shirts some heavier wool shirts and some heavy cotton. I also have wool/silk and wool socks...

The wool is smart wool that comes in various weights.  If the temp is below freezing... I don't go. have 1/2 fingers-they work pretty well-however, that crowds my hands on the gpz. work gloves

Racket-ball gloves are great for cold but not freezing condition.

Also home depo work gloves...remove the little magnetic strip the sometime have.

I have wool gloves that have half fingers

• Like 2

It was -6*c 40 miles north of me on Sunday night and some places saw temps of -8*c, Due to the lateness of the cold weather I think we are in for some cold spells this winter, Yet today it's back up to 11.2*c,  In the past I have detected in the Snow which turned to Ice, keeping warm was not a problem but once I stopped detecting walking back to the truck that's when you really notice how cold it is,

J.