Years ago on the Tesoro site forum there was 2 guys that took a week per year and traveled around in upper New England area hunting.  They used Explorer and knocked on doors to ask permission.  It was amazing what they found.  They were really good writers as well.

But when the Tesoro site went down all was lost.

Those were my friends, O think you are referring to, Chris Beniston and Tom Smith, but it wasn't on the Tesoro Forum as much as on a regular Metal Detecting Forum.  They both used Minelab Explorer II's as their regular tools and were especially in search of silver coins and other higher conductors.  The things the FBS detectors can do better at, which isn't the lower-to-mid-conductive range.

At the time they lived in the greater Portland, Oregon area and had been more active in the local Portland detecting club, and made one or two adventurous trips to the NE every year.  Then life changes and they are now living in California.  I haven't spoken with Tom in several years now, and only occasionally, like once-a-year, get a call from Chris.  I ought to get a hold of him and find out if they are still actively detecting or if interest has waned.

Monte

Monte --

Not to derail the thread, but any luck recovering any of your stolen gear?

Steve

Quote from steveg: Monte --

Not to derail the thread, but any luck recovering any of your stolen gear?... No, nothing yet.  Nothing.  The responding Portland Police Bureau officer whom responded to take the report is off on Tue., Wed. and Thur. so I am going to try and contact him again this Friday.  However, Portland, Oregon is a big city and they have a lot of cases to deal with and I don't think they do a lot of follow-up on these types of break-ins as would a smaller-size town.

I try to check craigslist every day or two, but there are so many other on-line sites that can be used it is just impossible for me to do it from almost 400 miles away.  I did alert the three major detector dealers in that area, but I don't think all valuable goods stay in the same area where stolen.  A 3-4 hour  drive and the goods could be up around Seattle Washington and sold there.

Still, I am holding out hope that something might happen to get detectors and gear back.  Thanks for asking.

Monte

Really sorry to hear that you haven't had any luck yet, Monte.

Don't give up on it (I know you won't).

Steve